How much licking is normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Harvey loves grooming us. We can't hold her without being licked. She jumps up on the couch to sit with us, and starts licking. She will lick any skin she can reach for 20 minutes or so, then take a break to get a snack or a drink or have a nap. Then she seeks us out for more licking. I love it. Constant bunny kisses. But she's our first rabbit so I wanted to know if this is normal. It seems like if all rabbits were like this, then they would be more popular. It makes me think Harvey is special. I'd like to hear from others about how often you get licked/ kissed by your rabbit.

My rabbits nudge instead of lick unless I have purée on my fingers... Though I wish mine did lick! As long as she is healthy and isn't displaying unusual behaviour she is probably just very affectionate. I know many buns that love to lick and it's adorable!

How old is Harvey? My bunny used to lick all the time, but she grew out of it at mthree and a half months old. She'll still lick you if your holding her but not seeking us out for licking anymore. If you got Harvey before he\she was eight weeks old, he/she thinks you are a rabbit too and you are his momma.

Thank you so much guys. Harvey is 6 months, almost 7. I never read that rabbits lick this much so I thought she was special. Thank you for clarifying it. It is so adorable when she does that. I'll try to get a movie of her doing it when she wakes up.
It's cute too, that if I'm on her bad side, then she won't lick me, she'll lick the floor in front of me instead.

Lol, your rabbit will probably reach maturity at 8-10 months old, I've seen your other posts and she is so adorable, when she reaches maturity the licking probably settle down a bit like Violet did

Steve does lick my face, but I have to bow my head and request it. Every night when I am tidying up their area and exchanging litter boxes (clean for dirty) Steve comes and supervises carefully. He sits right in front of me to make sure I'm doing it right. I call it "clean box cuddle time". While picking up stray poop and hay from their condo I nuzzle Steve and he gives me kisses. I love it. I think my husband gets jealous though but tough ****. :) :) :)

Np, Harvey will still be an amazing bunny, my bunny Violet is a teen right now and the only problem is she doesn't want to stop running around the house when its night time to be put in her room

Spike is turning 9 in a month and he still loves to lick! it's usually a pre-curser to "pet me!" Or a "thank you" after a cuddle session. Even just coming home, I walk in and he licks my pant leg or foot hello. I think some buns are just bigger kissers than others. :)

Latest posts

Back