Do you cut your bunnies fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lati

Morgan
Reaction score
I have an extremely fluffy lion head lop, and it's a lot of maintenance trying to keep her from getting dreadlocks and matted fur, so I'm wondering about giving her a 'proper haircut'.

What do you guys suggest? Do you cut your bunnies fur? How? What is the best way to keep them calm and get to those difficult to reach areas :bunnybutt:?

I looked online and found this brilliant video of a bunny after a haircut.

https://www.facebook.com/AmazingThings.Tao/videos/1662971913941241/

Some people do give their long furred bunnies a trim. Which is perfectly fine. You just need to be careful if using sharp point scissors. Better to use ones with a blunt nose. You also need to be careful about not cutting too close to the skin, as it can be very easy to accidentally nick the skin. If you slip a comb in between the skin and the scissors, this will help prevent an accidental nick. Using electric clippers would work as well.

Difficult to reach areas would be best accomplished if you have someone to help you. They could hold your rabbit slightly reclined back so that you can reach the underneath parts.

I have a set of clippers with various blade guards for length of cut--also protects the delicate skin as it keeps the cutting head away from the skin. I've only used it when I have urine scald or poop sticking to fur problem, but it could be used trim a whole rabbit. You just have to get the bunny used to handling and the noise--you have to train the bunny, don't let it train you.

Latest posts

Back