Bunny Pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyAndMoonlight

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1440268243.323101.jpg

The picture above is my rabbits outdoor hut. I recently moved it from our back porch, to a grassy area, so I could surround the hut in their play pen so the ramp could be down most of the day. We are quite busy, and this way my bunnies can get out and play, when I am unable to give them attention. I do have a few issues tho, that I know can be easily fixed, but would just like to get a few opinions.

My one rabbit likes to dig, and being outside all day is her plenty of opportunities. However she has dug a fairly deep hole and it is only going to get deeper. I think I should fill it with soil (like potting soil), at least half way full, so she A.) can't tunnel out, and B.) dig a den where I cannot reach her. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1440268710.441170.jpg Opinions??

You can certainly fill it in, but don't use potting soil as it has added fertilisers. Can you fill it back in with the dirt she has dug out? Or perhaps some soil from another part of the garden? She is likely going to continue to dig in this manner, you can try putting a plastic tray filled with soil on top of the spot she has been digging to try and get her to dig in that instead.

I did manage to put most of the dirt that she dug out back in, but also added some potting soil (I did check- there are no fertilizers). I also did build a dig box, which is pretty self explanatory- it's a box filled with hamster bedding, hay, and some hidden carrots for them to find. Both rabbits use it, but the one continued to dig big holes. As long as I can keep them from getting too deep, I guess it will be just fine. Right?

I would put the digging box over the hole as I find buns tend to like to dig in the same places.

Latest posts

Back