Spay/neuter cost?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spay/neuter costs vary widely based on location, vet's experience and size and age of the rabbit. For example, one of the vets I use, will spay a rabbit under 1 year for $95 plus the office visit (neuter is $75). That same vet charges over $200 if the doe is over 1 year. My other vet, charges close to $300 for a spay and simply will not spay a doe over then 1 year. (I have found that many vets won't do a spay on a doe that is over 1 year due to the amount of fat that builds up and the added risk due to extra time under anesthetic.) The best thing you can do is call around to vets with rabbit, not just exotic, experience. Be prepared with the rabbit's age and approximate weight.

As far as the benefits, there are many. Basically, unless you want to breed, there isn't a good reason not to spay or neuter your rabbit. Either way, you get rid of those nasty hormones. Some does are just grouchy after they reach sexual maturity. I once had a doe who was only happy when she was bred. Bucks, well, are boys and boys will be boys. Neutering will sometimes help if you have a buck (or doe) who sprays. If you want to bond bunnies, the easiest pair to bond are a spayed doe and a neutered buck. You lose the risk of uterine and testicular cancers...the list really goes on and on. Most of the benefits of spaying or neutering any animal apply to rabbits as well.

We have only paid for one fixing operation, all the others came to us fixed. The one we did pay for was a neuter, done at the veterinary teaching hospital associated with our school here. It was total $250, including meds, pre-op exam, and pre-op blood work. They did an amazing job but honestly that's kinda what you expect if you pay $250! The Humane Society here charges $100 for a rabbit spay or neuter through their low-cost program, including meds. I would say $150 is about average for a neuter, and $200 is about average for a spay.

no spay, but have had 2 neutered. It was $25 for one (he was having something else done at the same time) and the other was $45

Rabbit spays at my vet are about £70, and neuters are about £55. Quite expensive, but worth it.

If you don't intend to breed, then I would strongly suggest neutering/spaying your bun. Not only does it lesson any territorial, cage aggression, litterbox or spraying issues, I believe it makes for a happier, healthier bun. Also, by spaying your Doe, you protect her from uterine cancer, which unbred does develop quite a high risk of after about the age of 2.

:)
Jen

So it sounds like it could cost anywhere from 100-250 dollars to get Flurry spayed. I would like to have Flurry spayed since I want to get her a friend. Does anyone know if I cold get another female bunny for Flurry or would it not work? Or leave her unspayed and get a neuterd male? (I'm not concerned about price it's just out of curiosity weather or not it could work)

I called a vet in the area because I was considering a baby that needed to be fixed and they quoted me 300 dollars for a spay or neuter!

If she's not spayed, her behavior around other bunnies will be difficult. Most unspayed female bunnies are quite territorial, to the point of even rejecting siblings or their mom, once they reach puberty. It's really hard to keep unspayed females together, especially if they're not siblings and from the same litter.

It can vary a lot. My boy was $400 to be neutered; spays are more. But I live in a very expensive area and my vet's office is one of the best in the area.

And I would not recommend getting her a bunny friend and leaving her unspayed. Unspayed females are quite territorial and very very unlikely to bond with another rabbit. Even if they bond for a while, they can go through a falst pregnancy at any time and break the bond.

There is a low cost spay and nueter clinic here..
Its a total of $73 for a nueter (Including pain meds)
And $83 for a spay. I would reconmend calling around and typing in "Low cost spay and nueter" and calling them to ask if they do rabbits.

Female pairs aren't bad. I've heard of unspayed females getting along if they are littermates and have always been together. That's pretty rare though, and most unspayed females won't tolerate another female. They're more territorial than the males. I also think that if a bun is spayed later in life, she may still retain some of the territorial behavior--our nethie Frida was spayed around age 3 and she's a bit much sometimes.

At the shelter we often send home young bunnies in pairs with littermates, and now we have a pair that's a girl and her mom. It's not impossible to get two girl bunnies to bond, but you have to find bunnies with the right temperament. Muffin probably could have been bonded with another girl, just like Benjamin could have been bonded with another boy. They're both really friendly and not territorial. Frida and Tony are a bit more aggressive.

When I posted before, I didn't even think to mention the Humane Society's low cost program. The Humane Society here charges $40 for a spay and another rescue organization charges $60.

I have had a bonded pair of unspayed females. They got along fine. I did have some dominance humping, but, that's to be expected. I feel like I need to preface this by saying they were Flemish Giants. Flemish are just laid back in general and I've had really good luck bonding Flemish and other large breeds. I just lost 1/2 of a pair of un-neutered bucks!!! A Flemish and a French Lop. I had them together as babies and planned to separate them, but they just...bonded! I was amazed! So, it's one of those things, sometimes it will work, but most often, it won't.

Good Luck!

Flurry is really laid back and dosnt seem to be too territorial but it sounds like the best route would be to spay her if i want to get a second rabbit. Im not concerned about cost at all. Anyother suggestions/ideas/thoughts??

The vets where I live charge about 400 for spaying a female, maybe a little less for a male. At the time I couldn't afford to spay my girls. But I do have a mother and daughter pair who are very bonded. A friend had told me that I should separate them, but I also hear that they can also stay bonded without being fixed if they're litter mates, or mother and little one.

Wow I was just quoted $750 to neuter my 4 mo the buck. I cancelled the appointment. Currently looking for a new vet to have this done. I'm not sure where or how to find another place. I was on here to maybe find suggestions.

Latest posts

Back