At how many weeks to you wean the kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loverabbits

Reaction score
So far, I've been separating the kits from mom at 7 weeks while keeping the kits together for a week to minimize stress before sending some of them off to their new homes. I was told by some customers that other breeders they've spoken to allow the babies to leave around 7 weeks. Wondering what you guys are all doing!

In the past I've started to gradually pull them off at around 7-8 weeks, a couple at a time every few days, to give the mom's milk a chance to slowly dry up. The longer they can safely stay with mom, the better they usually do health wise. Also keep in mind that even if they are weaned earlier than 8 weeks, some states/cities it is illegal to sell baby rabbits younger than 8 weeks old.

We tend to be very late in weaning babies at least for my tans. But that is because I much prefer to show any babies that I get and show homes take preference over pet homes. If someone is on a list for a pet bunny they could wait weeks to months for one of my tans. This also helps me make sure someone has thought it through and has done research on the tan breed as it isn't like others.

For my tans we take them away from mom anywhere between 8-10 weeks. Then we normally separate sexes by 12 weeks. For my moms polish we will take away from mom around 6-8 weeks and separate sexes at 12 weeks as well. Polish we can sell much earlier as it is easier to tell pet quality from show quality.

Like the others said, ideally, you want to keep the kits with Mom until 7-8 weeks if you can. Some does will wean their kits on their own schedule, though, rather than yours. We have a couple who wean them around 5 weeks, and you can tell they don't want to be around them anymore. In those cases we pull mom and keep the kits together for a few more weeks.

Latest posts

Back