Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > New Rex doe.....aggressive behavior?

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Bethstang
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Rex doe.....aggressive behavior?

Hi, I just picked up a 14 week old Rex doe from a breeder today. I have her in a x-pen with a litterbox. She was kept outside, so she is not litterbox trained. I noticed that she pooped so I was picking her poop up to put in the box and she lunged and grunted at me. Is this normal behavior for a new rabbit? I’ve owned rabbits before, but they’ve been bucks and they never exhibited this behavior

Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Blue eyes

Liked 723 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 914

She's new. She's adjusting to a new home and new cage. She's probably hormonal. For any or all of these reasons, it wouldn't be unusual for her to be showing some cage aggression.

I'd suggest leaving her completely alone for the next 48 hours. You just got her. If she poos in the cage, leave it alone. Let her mark her new home. Don't worry about cleaning up poos for 48 hours. (Urine can be wiped up) Just go about whatever usual activity would be going on in that room. This will help her to get used to her 'new normal.'

After the 48 hours, you can sweep up the poos and put them in the litter box. But let her adjust for these next two days by not being bothered in her cage.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Aki
Liked 214 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I agree. At 14 weeks, hormones are beginning to influence rabbits behavior and it's not rare for intact does to be very territorial. Don't bother her and give her a chance to get used to you and her new surroundings. But ultimately, spaying is the only thing that will really calm her down... you can have that done in about 3 months.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 790 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Plus, some are more territorial than others.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
Bethstang
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

She’s definitely more relaxed today