How Do I Convince My Mum To Spend More Money On My Rabbit??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamSmudge

Reaction score
A while ago I realised (By watching Rabbit/Rabbit Care videos) that I hadn't been taking proper care of my rabbit. I've been trying to convince my Mum to buy more toys, a bigger hutch/x-pen, proper hay and food - but she keeps saying it's too expensive. Plus all the diy toy/hutch videos I watched used materials that I don't have access too. We have carpet in all bedrooms/living rooms and the only space that would be possible to move him inside is the laundry and the half of it we don't use is filled with junk and when I asked she said no anyways.

Should I try and get her to look into trademe (New Zealand equivalent of Amazon, ebay etc.) for cheap products appropriate for my bunny or try and clean out the laundry so she see's that I'm serious about moving him.

Please Help Me!!!

You don’t need to buy more toys for a rabbit, you can make your own and come up with your own toys. Focus on the important stuff, like getting a better cage and better food. Try to work, ask your mom if you can get a little money while helping in the household and save as much money you can. Make a deal with your mom I often do that when I want money. You can also sell stuff you are not using to earn a little money. Try to be creative.

Toys aren't really an issue - most rabbits don't care for them or will do well with the cardboard core of a toilet paper roll or a cardboard box with holes in it to make several 'doors'. I'm more concerned about your need for 'proper hay'. That's not optional and if your rabbit doesn't have it, it's life threatening in the long run.
How old are you? Can't you babysit or find a way to raise a bit of money? Selling old stuff on the Internet is not a bad idea - my little sister does it with her old toys, clothes, or even by selling old shoes or stuff my parents don't wear anymore (my mother is actually glad someone is sorting out her wardrobe). She also make jewellery that she sells. When I was 14, I started to give private lessons to a few kids on the week-end to make some money. I mostly did piano lessons, but also some tutoring. If your grades are good, it's something you can do (or maybe do a bit later if you're too young now - it pays a lot better than the babysitting thing and it's a regular thing, which is a plus). Petsitting during the week-end / holidays is also good - I employ a few kids to come and give food to the rabbits when I'm on a trip. You can try explaining your situation to your neighbours and ask if you can do some chores for a bit of money. Buying vegetables and hay is the most important for your bunny and it's not that expensive, but you'll need to find about 25-30$ a month, I think.

About the laundry room, isn't it a bit humid for a rabbit? Also, if there are like a washing machine or a dryer in there, be careful... rabbits eat electrical cords. You can always try to discuss it again with your mother and explain it will take away nothing from her considering it's a part of the house that's not actually in use (did she explain why she didn't want you clearing it up to use it?), but that's the problem when you are free loader (child or not) : her house, her rules.

Toys aren't really an issue - most rabbits don't care for them or will do well with the cardboard core of a toilet paper roll or a cardboard box with holes in it to make several 'doors'. I'm more concerned about your need for 'proper hay'. That's not optional and if your rabbit doesn't have it, it's life threatening in the long run.
How old are you? Can't you babysit or find a way to raise a bit of money? Selling old stuff on the Internet is not a bad idea - my little sister does it with her old toys, clothes, or even by selling old shoes or stuff my parents don't wear anymore (my mother is actually glad someone is sorting out her wardrobe). She also make jewellery that she sells. When I was 14, I started to give private lessons to a few kids on the week-end to make some money. I mostly did piano lessons, but also some tutoring. If your grades are good, it's something you can do (or maybe do a bit later if you're too young now - it pays a lot better than the babysitting thing and it's a regular thing, which is a plus). Petsitting during the week-end / holidays is also good - I employ a few kids to come and give food to the rabbits when I'm on a trip. You can try explaining your situation to your neighbours and ask if you can do some chores for a bit of money. Buying vegetables and hay is the most important for your bunny and it's not that expensive, but you'll need to find about 25-30$ a month, I think.

About the laundry room, isn't it a bit humid for a rabbit? Also, if there are like a washing machine or a dryer in there, be careful... rabbits eat electrical cords. You can always try to discuss it again with your mother and explain it will take away nothing from her considering it's a part of the house that's not actually in use (did she explain why she didn't want you clearing it up to use it?), but that's the problem when you are free loader (child or not) : her house, her rules.

Thanks for the advice Aki. I'm a tween and too young to be employed by a business (With any sense of mind). I think I could probably earn some pocket money around the house but only enough for about $20 dollars a week (New Zealand Dollars). I don't have access to the the best hay types and even though Mum gets some stuff from the local vet it's not Timothy Hay or anything of the sort. The other option would be ordering some online, and I'll ask Mum about that. I got him when I was young and (Im ashamed to say) probably neglected him but when I matured enough to realise it Mum kept (And keeps) saying that we've had him for 3/4 years and he's doing fine. But I'm worried that something will show up when he's older.

I'm also worried about the hutch he's in. The hutch itself is fine

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?img...rYAhVPNbwKHYPXDpcQMwiQAihGMEY&iact=mrc&uact=8

(Above: Link to my hutch, but with chicken wire instead of bars - if thats what you call them)

and we have an x-pen attached to it. But my Mum says she can't afford changing the hutch every two years. Smudge is currently an outdoor bunny and the minor damage, weathering and rust that it has is due to the fact it's out in the weather all day everyday. Mum won't hear of him moving inside though, whenever I bring it up it's a straight-up no. She doesn't even pretend to think about it.

The humidity issue you addressed about the laundry. We have quite heavy and humid are anyway due to where I currently live. I moved about a year and a half ago and he adapted well. If he were to live in the laundry there would be a penned out space for him as well as a fan when needed and also as many windows open as possible. I would be planning to take him outside with toys and supervision and also probably would stay out there while I'm at school but I've nearly given up on that one.

I really want the best for my rabbit but it is my Mums house (+Lawn!) and her motto when it comes to Smudge is practically 'He's made it this far with this stuff'

Anyways, I'll try some of these idea's and do more research to show her.

- TeamSmudge

PS: He's completely fine outside on his own - there are no predators in NZ and he's lived with cats (Including the neighbours ones) all his life without being fazed.

Latest posts

Back