Babies bunns need your help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
OK. so a few weeks ago I got a Rabbit in a pet store. all was well till I noticed her nesting....so fast forward to this morning...we have 5 Babies...3 died the other 2 are all squirmy and cut (like all bunnies) but I'm concerned about how much time she's with them she lays be side the box but just does her thing. when she noticed me removing the dead babies she came over and got in the box...I just want to make sure she being normal...if I need to try to hand raise the Babies I will. any tips for a nervous bunny grandma XD

This is normal. They can be protective but they will only nurse 1-2x per day. The rest of the time they do their own thing. It doesn’t take but 10-15 min max to nurse so it isn’t unusual to not catch them doing it. As long as the kits are gaining weight they’re being fed.

Rabbits spend very little time with their youngs. In the wild, they only visit once or twice a day for like five minutes. That's to avoid attracting predators considering that neither the doe nor the kits could defend themselves from them... So, I'm not breeding, but it sounds normal to me.

I just wanted to check cause I called my vet this morning and they told me difffenrt but u didn't think it was right (they aren't very rabbit educated). was it okay that I removed the dead babies?

Yes it’s best to remove any dead ones right away. If your doe isn’t feeding them they won’t last more than about 48 hours so check them tonight and again in the morning. You can tell if they aren’t being fed because they will become scrawny and less active.

they were squirmy this morning...found on out of the nest in her pen, put him right back. idk if she did it or he did it since she built the nest on the ground but he was still active and they both looked like they had a belly full so I'm hoping all will go good.

They can sometimes get pulled out of the nest by mom if they are still latched on when she's done nursing them. As long as mom's pen/cage doesn't have gaps in the bars where they can slip through and fall to a floor or something like that, and as long as they aren't outdoors in a cold environment, they should be fine if you can get them back into the nest in a reasonable amount of time. If there are gaps they can fall through or they're out in cold temps, you will need to make some changes to help protect them.

You can look through these following links if you need some info and tips on helping care for unexpected litters.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?p=1055673#post1055673
http://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Latest posts

Back