Injured Baby Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumfordsmom

Reaction score
Hello.

I literally just came home with a brand new baby bunny. He was in a wire cage from the farm feed store, and I couldn't leave him there. When I got him home we discovered a scaly toe. Can anyone identify this for me? We have had him/her a grand total of 9 minutes. How can this be treated?

Hopping around just fine, but I don't want to return this little one to that cage. That's not happening. Thanks in advance.

DSC07592.jpg

DSC07589.jpg

DSC07599.jpg

To be honest, it looks to me like he needs to see a vet, if at all possible. I know you literally just got him- but that could be a lot of things.

Placed a call..waiting to hear for an appointment. In the meantime, we're treating this as though it is a fungal infection, which means a comfy quarantine, and 2x daily bedding changes. He's eating, drinking, and producing waste...so I'll update when I know more. I also suspect he is much younger than I was told...so that's a question to bring up to the vet too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like it could be sarcoptes mange(burrowing mites). Treatment is ivermectin or Revolution(selamectin). Since it was a preexisting condition, the farm store should be responsible for treatment costs. If this is a new vet to you, make sure they are rabbit savvy. Few vets are, even if they say they treat rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Sarcoptic_mange.htm

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

To me it looks like the bunny could be around 4-6 weeks old. Could be 8 weeks, but just doesn't look it to me.

The vets in my area will not treat rabbits. Only one that I can find with a decent reputation, and it's about an hour and a half drive. Trying to get an appointment for this Sat.

On the plus side, he has gained weight, is very active, and has a great appetite.
I treated the toe with diluted organic apple cider vinegar, and it's improving, and doesn't seem to be spreading. He is quite friendly.

Having said that, I want this little one checked out. The supply store said they will take him back for a refund, but that's not something I want to do.

Thank you for the response. Will keep this thread updated.

**forgot to add, they said the person who dropped off the litter claimed they were 9 wks. I HIGHLY doubt that. He seemed a little too young to leave mom...so we're doing the best we can.

Last edited:
Yeah... it could be the photos, but he looks about 5 weeks to me too. It's good that he's going to see the vet. Anyway, I'm the kind of paranoid owner who will take a new bunny to the vet for a check up everytime because you never know... Parasits and fungal infections are unfortunately very frequent when you buy a rabbit from someone who is not a reputable breeder (a lot of petstore rabbits are infected with mange and the like, which is always nice to introduce in your home ^^'). Checking the sex is also a good idea, because rabbits can be tricky. Still it doesn't look too serious so I think with treatment it should be fine.

Update!

Mumsford is a girl, so we're calling her Mimzy. (One of my kid's favorite movies). She has fur mites. Doctor put her on a dosage of Revolution, every 2 wks. for 3 wks. total. She wasn't sure about the Ringworm, so as a precaution they gave us Miconosol lotion to apply twice a day for the next 14 days.

Other than that, she is perfectly healthy. Teeth are in good order, and she's gaining weight.

So we're all good!

Oh!, and her eyes are turning a strange shade of blue. Can't wait to see what the final color is.

Thank you all again for the input and support.

Best.

It's good you went to the vet then. She should be right as rain soon ^^. I hope the vet looked competent, because since she's a girl, you'll have to get her spayed in about 6 months... For does, it's really not optional if you want her to live a long happy cancer-free life.

Gaining weight, and doing great! The fur is growing back on her foot. Loves to explore and cuddle on the floor. Thanks again all.

DSC07600.jpg

DSC07619.jpg

Agreed...She'll go in when she's around 6 months. That's when they agreed to operate. This is one of the few places that will even see rabbits. We're lucky they're here.

Back