Digging Alternatives

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoux

Reaction score
Hi, this is my second post. Thank you all for your help and ideas.

Bijoux is still chewing the heck out of my couch. I really think its because he wants to get around it where it's next tothe wall so today (after finding multiple pieces of it all over my house this morning) I pulled it away from the wall so he can get through. Iguess I'll find out soon enough if this works.

I was wondering however, if anyone has given their bun any digging options in their house. I was thinking of some kind of tub with kitty litter type thing, however, I don't want him to confuse it for his litter box (which uses wood pellets). I don't have an outdoor area where he can play in dirt as I am in an apartment.

Thanks,

Nicki

No kitty litter- it's too dusty and can be harmful if they lick it off their fur. Play sand is a better alternative. My rabbits like digging in a box full of newspapers. Some like to shred it themselves, other rabbits like already ripped up and loose. Cardboard boxes with bunny-sized holes cut in them are also great for digging and shredding. Untreated grass mats are a lot of fun too. You can get some from online bunny toy places like Bunny Bytes or Busy Bunny.

naturestee wrote:
No kitty litter- it's too dusty and can be harmful if they lick it off their fur. Play sand is a better alternative. My rabbits like digging in a box full of newspapers. Some like to shred it themselves, other rabbits like already ripped up and loose. Cardboard boxes with bunny-sized holes cut in them are also great for digging and shredding. Untreated grass mats are a lot of fun too. You can get some from online bunny toy places like Bunny Bytes or Busy Bunny.
:yeahthat: Also, empty toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay are good toys as well.:)

We put a bunch of cloths/towels in a bin for our old foster-rabbit, Berry-Boo, to dig in. She loved that! My rabbit has a lot of towels that are just thrown in his condo for him to dig and nibble on.

Welcome to the forum Bijoux! :welcome1

naturestee wrote:
Cardboard boxes with bunny-sized holes cut in them are also great for digging and shredding.
I had an apple box filled with shredded paper where Pebbles can go inside to dig and shred up the paper. She ended up pulling the paper outside the box, but that was great fun for her.

How about a telephone book? You give her a blanket too.

Oh thanks guys, really great ideas. I'm going to try them. I love the idea about the box with shredded paper and the towels also, he does seem to like digging in towels.

Is there any place posted that shows pictures of cages. I am specifically interested in those of you that have free range bunnies. What type of area do you have for his
sleeping, eating, toilet area (or as I call "his bedroom")

Thanks

Nicki

Oh, I wanted to post some pictures and can't figure out how. Are there directions somewhere?

bijoux wrote:
Is there any place posted that shows pictures of cages. I am specifically interested in those of you that have free range bunnies. What type of area do you have for his
sleeping, eating, toilet area (or as I call "his bedroom")

Thanks

Nicki

Oh, I wanted to post some pictures and can't figure out how. Are there directions somewhere?

Here is the place on here for pics of cages:):

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37295&forum_id=21

and here is the thread on how to postpics, from chat about the forum;):

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=66

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back