Shaking Head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Mocha and Spice both have a tendency to frequentlyshake there head from side to side. I have checked for signs of mitesand see nothing. Could this just be an expression of excitement thatthey are getting food or going to get pats? Nothing seems to bebothering them, they scratch their ears but not too much as far as Ican tell. Just thought to check to make sure I'm not ignoring a hiddenproblem.

Laura, Moch, & Spice

Hi M&SMom,

It sounds like anemotional expression to me rather than mitessince you've searched for symptoms of them and they're not excessivelyshaking them.

I get the 'ear shake' from Tucker when he's excited or when I correcthim and he doesn't want to hear it. It's his way ofattempting to shake me off.

I had this conversation with another poster once on a different boardand she too noticed that her bunny did it to her when he was mad ordidn't want to listen. Sometimes when I open the cookie jarwhere I keep Tucker's food, he'll shake his head and start running, soit's also usedas an expression of excitement as stated above.

Watch when they shake their ears what they're doing. I betyou'll begin to see a pattern. It's a form of communicationif all else appears clean and normal.

-Carolyn

If it is a slow, movement from side to side, andthe buns are red-eyed, it is called, scanning and is quite normal inREW breeds. Something about their inability to focus liketheir normally eye-colored cousins.

If a quick, shudder-like shake from side to side, Carolyn's explanation is more apt to apply.

Buck

i'm glad to hear this. I was a littlecurious myself. My baby does that sometimes. Butit's usually when she's excited. Shortly after she usuallytakes off running in about two circles around the living room, thenhops almost straight in the air and does this little twist. Iwish i had a video recorder. It's quite funny.

That's what I thought. Yes, it's a quick shake that they only do when annoyed or excited, that's what I figured it was.

Megan shakes her head out of no where when she'srunning or if she's bad and I make a big clapping noise she shakes herhead then stops and looks at me, then jumps ,hops, runs around incircles, jumps into a wall head on, then flops over...lol repeat thisseveral times a night and you got one crazy Bun! lol

Latest posts

Back