Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callierob

Reaction score
Good AM..on Friday My five month old rabbit hadseven babies......I was frantic like the bunny on Friday as she waspulling out her fur, tearing newspaper to make a nest in my first hutchshelf..she would run out/in taking her fur there..by 6pm she had hadher babies...two days have passed..and it "appears" that she goes in tofeed them..Only three have survived..should I try an eyedropper at thispoint with some sort of formula or should I let nature take it'scourse? Also, if I want to have another litter, when is agood time to mate the bunnies again?

My Goodness!!! You have allowed a "baby" to havebabies! That's like a young girl of 13 having a child! Get my drift?Hopefully, you seperated the male from her after they mated the firsttime. If you didn't, expect another litter within the next month. Didyou know that the Doe can get pregnant immediately after giving birth?!Hopefully, you will give her at least 6 months before you do this againso that she can grow to become an adult, and recoup. What you have doneis extremely irresponsible. You seem to have no concerns for the healthof your Doe. Your "baby machine" will not live long if you continue tobreed her just to have babies. The kits will also suffer because themother will be nutritionally starved from excess pregnancies. Did youdo your "homework" on rabbits before you decided to become "Breeder ofthe Year"?

I?agree with Dootsmom.?

Learn how to take care of one before starting to count on your next one.?

Rabbits only feed their babies once a day.? If they don't have round,warm bellies, she's not feeding them and will need your assistance tosurvive.? Kitten Milk Replacer with a tablespoon of cream inthe?morning and evening has been known to work.? There are others, butI don't know them. If?you overfeed?the?babies, they'll die.?

-Carolyn

?

Carolyn, I'm sorry if I came down, so strongly, onthis poster. It just makes me so angry when I hear of things like this.I strive so hard to urge bunny owners to, at least, have their malesneutered and then along comes someone that is breeding, just to breed.sigh, sob. Charlotte

Dootsmom,

I completely understand and agree with you.

-Carolyn

Ok, well I don't have a male bunny around (wellthere's a wild one outside that likes to come visit us...he looksalmost like my bun lol) Anyway, is it necessary to spay my rabit? She'sonly like 6 months old, and well seeing that I really don't know muchabout rabbits except that I'm in love with my lil one, should she bespayed and is it expensive?

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

It's better for the longevity of her life and health if you were to gether spayed. She'll most likely mellow out a bittoo, but it doesn't seem as if your bunny has any personality quirksthat are bothersome such as nipping, grunting, etc.

Many females develop uterine cancer at the age of 5, somegetit as early as 3 years old if not fixed. PamNockwould be the one to ask the specifics about that, but it is usuallyrecommended that the little ones are fixed for their well being if youdon't wish to show or breed them. Any time after 6 months issafe to get the rabbit fixed.

You can get different dealsin different places. Iwish BuckJones was here because he's got a number of ideas.You could check with your vet and see how much they charge, also callyour local shelter and see what they recommend, and you can look uplocal breeders in your area and see where theymightrecommend.

I was just speaking to another person who stated that they were given$100 as a price to neuter their male rabbit. When I checkedwith the animal hospital where I had Tucker spayed, which was veryclean and I was very happy with their work, and they had a separateroom for rabbits to be kept in so that they weren't freaked out, Ifound out thattoday, they're charging a total of $62 whichincludes the operation and the overnight stay. Prettyreasonable if you ask me.

-Carolyn

Okay, well she just turned 6 months old, so it'llbe okay if I wait maybe a few months ? I guess I'm juststarting to worry about her too much. Like shes not gonna die if Idon't do it right away, right? just making sure! :) Do rabbits go inheat and start kinda bleeding everywhere like dogs or is that somethingI don't have to worry about? She really has no problems behaviourwise... sometimes she grunts when we put her back in her cage, but I'massuming it's because she feels like she's not done playing. So shebites at her cage until I pet her and then she flops over lol. Anyway,Thanks for the help here I really appreciate it, You've all been verypatient with me. Thanks! :D

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

You have nothing to worry about.? The main thing you need to do forthat little Beauty of yours is get her Timothy Hay as soon aspossible.? Sorry if I seem pushy about that, but it's so important fortheir good health.?

No, it won't matter if you get her fixed in a few months.? She'll be fine.?

Rabbits don't menstruate.

-Carolyn

Ok, thanks! I'm getting her Timothy Hay tonight! Ihope she eats it, she's very picky. She hates vegetables, but she'lleat cardboard :?lol she's so weird.... of course I don't lether eat the cardboard :) I pull it out of her mouth when I can catchher... sometimes she likes to run away, then she chases me, then Ichase her, then I play dead and she starts poking my face with her noseand paws until I get up lol. We have lots of fun :)

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

*laughs* That's so cute about her making sure you're notdead. Cardboard won't hurt her. I let Tucker chewon boxes all the time.It'll just pass through hersystem.

I bet you she'll LOVE the Timothy Hay! Watch her dive forit. Haven't met a rabbit yet thatdoesn't! Glad to hear you're getting sometonight. :D

-Carolyn

Okay, thanks for letting me know :) Now I won'tfreak out everytime she's near a box lol. i've always been like "oh godno don't eat that!" lol I worry about her a lot :) She can be badsometimes, last night she jumped onto my lap and she ate some of myzipper. She totally bit some of it right off. and I wish I would'venoticed before it was in her mouth :( I thought she was just sniffingme like she always does. But it was quite small so I'm sure she'lllive, I just gotta watch her more carefully sometimes.

Greetings MyBunnyLovesMe,

I understand about the worrying. I was like that with Tuckswhen I first got him. I remember waking up in the middle ofthe night and checking on him, just to make sure everything wasokay.

-Carolyn

I had her in my room until her noiseyness kept meup all night lol so she's down in the rec room now. She's eating herTimothy Hay, she seems to like it. Yay! I'm trying to find someone Ican e-mail her pic to for like advertising but I'm having no luck. Butshe'll always be my lil Star!

Hi Michelle!

First off... I'm so happy she's eating her Timothy Hay!! Way to Go, Michelle!! You've made my day.

You may notice that she has some 'cling ons' meaning that her poop hasa bit of 'sting' (hair really) and it sometimes might get hung up onthe floor of the cage. Don't worry about that. It's a good sign thatthe Timothy Hay is removing the fur from her system. It's easilyremoved, so don't worry about it.

You've really made my day when you told me that she's eating TimothyHay. It's so important for her to have in order to remain healthy.

Secondly, what a beautiful Avatar she makes!! Your notes really perkedme up as it's the first mail I've read. Way to Go to both you andPamnock!

-Carolyn

What do you mean hanging from her cage? There's sowhere for her poop to hang unless she somehow puts in the side bars ortop lol which she can't do. And thanks, I also think she makes a cutelittle avatar :)

Hi Michelle,

If it appears like there's a string attaching one poop to another, andit doesn't drop through the wire floor because it gets hung up by the'string'. The 'string' is fur. You'll know it when you see it. Samegoes for the cecal pellets. They'll look like tiny dark grapes. You'llnotice them at some point, and when you do, you'll know there's nothingwrong.

-Carolyn

She doesn't have a floor that anything can drop through, that's what I'm trying to say.

Just remember the old saying they breed likerabbits. From what I understand rabbits can be pregnant at 2different times. They have 2 horns and carry the litter in 1horn and can carry a 2nd llitter in the other horn. Rabbitscan almost get preg the 1st time being in with the male. I doagree with the others, wait till she is a bit older. I chooseto breed and my doe and buck were 8 months old when they bred, actuallywhen I got both my bunnies the breeder told me they were both female,imagine my surprise when I took my buns over for a play date with theneighbors bunny who was just spayed (same color as my doe turned buck)and when I went to pick him up i didnt know if I had the rightone. I quickly got a different cage for my female and about25 days later I was a grandma of 5 beauties. If you want tobreed, please breed responsible. As much as people think babybunnies are cute when they are babies, you dont want your preciousgoing to someone who will ignore them when they get older.

CMiska,

You are thinking of "superfoetation". Here is ashortarticle that I recently wrote on double pregnancies inrabbits (superfoetation).

Double Pregnancy (Superfoetation) in Domestic Rabbits

Pamela Nock

Rumors persist that double gestations are common in rabbits,yet in the many years of breeding rabbits and doing double breedingsover the years, I've never seen this happen. I've also noted that incases where the buck and doe were housed together, and the buck wasremoved before the doe kindled, she did not produce a subsequentlitter. Does do become immediately receptive after kindling however, sothere are many cases of litters produced 31 days after the first litterwas born.

The fact that rabbits have a double uterine horn does not mean they are meant to carry a double pregnancy.

Most animals have double uterine horns including dogs, cats,horses, pigs, cows, etc. Litter bearing animals such as rabbits, pigs,cats and dogs have longer uterine horns than do animals such as horsesand cows which may only produce one or two young.

Conversely, humans (like all primates) do not have doubleuterine horns (simplex) or extremely short uterine horns. However,there are at least 25 documented cases of "superfoetation" (doublepregnancy) in humans.

While a double gestation in rabbits would be extremely rare, itis documented in European Hares, which can conceive again in the finaldays of the first gestation.

Sources:

Rabbits & Hares

"http://www.shsu.edu/~bio_mlt/Rabbits.html"

Domestic Rabbit Reproduction

"http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e05.htm"

Latest posts

Back