Problem Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I have a problem and a question.

The problem is Koda & Norman's nails. They are theWorst. Their nails twist like a spiral and to make it worse they curve,not under but sideways also.

I cut their nails often but no matter how much I cut them theygrow so fast, I mean scary fast. I have no problem cutting their nailsas they are both amazingly good about it.

They have a solid floor cage, they get 4 hours out a day ondifferent floor types i.e. carpet and linoleum. I have been tryingsince I got them to get them litter trained and am having zero luckwith it. They have Woody Pet in the bottom of theircage.

I s there anything I can put on the bottom of their cage tohelp wear their nails down. I thought of sand paper but that is reallya bit more expensive than I want seeing as how I'd have to put new inevery day or every other day.

Any ideas of what I can use? I feel so bad for them. I havenever seen nails like these. Like a goof I cut them before it dawned onme to get pictures of them.

Tina

Iz and Pandmonium are prone to these also. Oh,and Smokey. I used to think it was my fault but am now starting tothink it's just genetic. Tell me if you find any ideas!! Bub and Bunbunand most of my others never had that problem.

Rose

Tina: Sand paper wont do thepads of their feet any good , it willcause abrasions on the pads and moreproblems down the road , Howabout a Sand Box to dig in , maybethe sand will wear them downand reshape them a bit ? sorry graspingat straws here .

Concrete and natural digging in dirt wear nailsdown but it may not help in your case. I don't know for sure because Ican't see how bad the nails are but because they go sideways, it'spossible that's why they are growing so fast. They are not actuallywearing down on the surfaces because they go sideways.

Both Koda and Norman dig all the time.It hasn't semed to help. I don't have any concrete. I guess I couldalways make them something with concrete:?. I am going to have toresearch more about this.

Both of them have dark nails which are harder to cut but withthe shape and how Norman has 2 and Koda has 2 nails that curve, cuttingtheir nails is so hard. I am always so afraid I am going to hurtthem.

Rose, I have never seen anything like it either, until these two. I was wondering if maybe it was genetic too.

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions.

Tina

Below my index finger you can see the nail growing straight to the side.

Since they have been here they have started curving andspiralling. I don't know why but it started after I started cuttingtheir nails twice a week. I was doing it once a week but they weregetting to long.

Tina, what about a dig box with concrete, or Pumus stone on the bottom....

I want to do this also, as all mine are CRAZY diggers, and Emma's got a few nails that grow out to the side as well...

I think I might try this for them, as cutting nails in my house, is NOT a fun job....

Just a thought!

Latest posts

Back