Cadbury is behaving oddly.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpkomic

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about my bunny Cadbury, Iintend to take her to the Vet as soon as possible, but I am postinghere to see if I can nip this problem in the bud.

For the most part, she's very lethargic and her ears feel rather cold.She's not licking my mother and I as she normally does and her urine isa slightly orange color, on top of this, I've not seen her eat any foodor drink any of her water. I've gone ahead and changed out her food andwater dishes and cleaned up her litterpan and gave her a fresh supplyof litter.

Should I be alarmed? Is there anyone who has experienced anything like this?

Thanks for your time.

The urine colour is ok.

What worries me is how long hasn't she been eating and drinking ?

Also, how long has she been lethagic ?

Sorry for the questions but need a little more information

It started last evening, she seemed fine for the most part yesterday but some time last night she started acting this way.

It's about 2:56 AM right now.

When any rabbit shows signs of not eating, drinking and is lethagic, it could be a number of problems.

Please take Cabury to a vet as soon as you can.

Until then, a couple of things you can do until you can get to a vet.

Do you have a small syringe (without the needle)?

If you do, you will have to syringe feed her. This is what you must do.

Place some pellets in hot water until the have turned to mush, add alittle cold water so it is not hot for the rabbit. Syingesome of the mush into the syringe and then slowly syringe into itsmouth.

You also must use the syringe in the same way for water.

If you have no syringe, you can use a small spoon.

Please made sure that Cabury has an endless supply of hay.

According to my rabbit books, and from what members have said hearbefore, please get your rabbit to a vet ASAP. Rabbits can go downhillvery fast. I've seen it happen.

Please let us know, how it goes.

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help.

~Zee

I would take Cadbury to the vet to pinpointexactly what is wrong. I am concerned about the coldears. Rabbits ears should be warm to the touch.

Let us know how Cadbury makes out. :pray:

Yes, I would definatley agree with Starlight.

I sure hope that Cadbury will recovers fast.

If Cadbury is still not eating, take him to the vet ASAP! Meanwhile,follow all the guidelines that Zee has written. It's really helpful.

Sending thoughts and prayers to you & Cadbury. Update us of how he is.

:pray:

-Katy

I am not trying to alarm you but get Cadbury to the vet now.

It sounds as though she is in GI Stasis. This can take you rabbit very quickly.

What I am about to tell you is only to help support her untilyou get her to hte vet. Please know that this is not in anyway a way totreat her at home. It is supportive care only.

Here is what you are going to need:
a syringe or baby eye dropper
a blender or coffee grinder
a towel

Soak her pellets in some warm water. About an ounce or two ofpellets and add a half a cup of water. They will swell some which isnormal. Put them in the blender or the grinder adding water if you needto. You want it to be the consistency of runny oatmeal.

Put this mixture in your syringe. Wrap Cadbury up in a towel.Gently open her lips and you will see her front teeth and a gapdirectly behind her front teeth. This is where you are going to put thetip of your syringe. Slowly start syringing the slurry to her. Do itvery slowly or you could aspirate the slurry into her lungs.

You need to do this with her water also.

If you have canned pumpkin syringe her a teaspoon of that also.

If you have Pedialyte or Gatorade Fill your syringe and give her this also.

Fresh pineapple, cut it up and get the juice out of it. Fill your syringe with this and give it to her.

Infant gas drops give her .03.

Keep her warm. If her ears are cold this is usually a sign of the rabbit going into shock.

I went through this with my rabbit recently and can't stress the emergency nature of this strong enough.

Tina

Oh, I have to agree with Tina, it sounds like Stasis. I just went through this as did she.

Please follow Tina's instructions. She got me throughit. Feed her every hour or 1/2 hour. I didn't leaveAbby for a minute. The canned pumpkin is so important as arethe infant gas drops.

Ok, I'm going to ramble a bit, just try to put it together, my head isspinning for you right now. If you have or can get Nutrical,that's a good thing too. It's hard to get into a syringe, butworth the effort. The bestsyringes are the kind youcan get at the drug store for administering medicine toinfants. Mine is 10 cc. If you can't get the infantgas drops, you can try 1/4 to 1/2 a tums. It will dissolvereally quickly in water, so you can syringe that into themtoo. (I gave this to Abby until I got the drops.She loved the pink ones.) If you have any leftovertetracycline from having a prescription or you can get it at a petstore in caplets in the fish section or in a powder in feedstores. Mix it in a solution of 1 tsp. to 1 gal of water andgive her a full syringe.

I'll bump the thread about Abby and any others I can find.

Jen

Jen, thank you for adding the Tums and Nutrical. I am visibly shaking and trying to thing of everything at once.

How is Cadbury? I am praying for you both.

Tina

I checked up on her this morning and she's backto normal. I still intend on taking her to the Vet, but now that sheseems to be feeling better, it's less of a priority, so I'll keep aneye on her for a while.

But all looks fine right now, so no worries. ;)

Thanks for the help.

PHEW!!!! You had me worried. Something like thathappened to my bunny Amber today. She wasn't eating, and the sureenough, she started eating right before we left for the vet. I am gladthat you are still taking Cadbury in. When I took Amber they injectedfluids as a preventative measure.

Im so glad to hear Cadbury is feeling better.

Im really pleased that you are still taking Cabury to the vets for a check-up. Best to do !

When do we get to see some pics ??? WE LOVE PICS !

~Zee

Glad to hear your baby is feeling better. :bunnydance:

~Emily and the fuzzbutts~

Latest posts

Back