house rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica_jade

Reaction score
Hi this is my firstpost,

Well my rabbit has been living in a cage, but i thought it would bebetter for him t be able to wonder around the house. My biggest concernis if he chews the wires. Some one told me if youputantiseptic cream on the wires they wont chew them. Is this true? He isalready litter trained, but anouther problem is is it safe to leavethem running around when your asleep.

thanks

Hi, we have three rabbits, one has the run ofthe family room and the other two have their own bedroom.They come & go as they please in the bedroom, they have twovery large cages in the room.

What we put on the wires are the plastic coverings for shower rods, (they are cheap to buy).

Our little guy who has the run of the family room, sleeps in ourbedroom at nite in his Condo. I think they should have aplace that is thiers so they can chill out when/if they want to.

Buttercup, he's the one in the family room has a big box that he goesinto during the day & he also has three log cabins that arejoined that he also can rest in.

Hope some of the info helps.

Soooska

There are covers you can get just for thispurpose at places like Home Depot...I would recommend something alongthat lines for peace of mind. Some people have used gardenhose or fishtank tubing to wrap the cords in as well.

Welcome to the forums, we love pictures!!! (hint hint) :D

Welcome to the forum!

My rabbits share a bedroom (the critter room) with my ferrets and myrats. They all have their own cages. They are notbonded, so only 1 gets out at a time. When they are out, theyhave the run of their room and the hallway. Their room iscritter proofed, and usually doesn't have any wire they can get to,however they have a fan in their room all the time and 2 rightnow. The cords are covered with aquarium tubing. Itworks well for me.

I do agree that they need a cage or something that they can go into ifthey want some time to themselves. You could just keep thecage you have now and leave the door open.

Jen

Letting your bun roam the house is awesome.....both of you will love it;)

But you have to prepare.......these folks have some good tips.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/bunnyproofing.html

Where they show only part of the wire covered it is best to cover all of it and also hang it out of the way if possible.

Last week we had an incident. A lamp in one of the bedrooms that isalways unplugged and the cord hung up when Willow is on safari wasplugged back in because we were all heading to bed in the next halfhour.

This picture shows what happened in only 5min. The resultswere one very scared rabbit, two frantic owners, and a full night ofbunny-sitting. Willow is ok, although eight dayslater she is still a bit skittish and timid.......but getting to be herold self a little more each day.

Not trying to scare or put you off the idea - in fact I highly recomendit - but just like with little kids, you have to be ready:)

Johncdn wrote:
Last week we had an incident. A lamp in one of the bedrooms that isalways unplugged and the cord hung up when Willow is on safari wasplugged back in because we were all heading to bed in the next halfhour.

This picture shows what happened in only 5min. The resultswere one very scared rabbit, two frantic owners, and a full night ofbunny-sitting. Willow is ok, although eight dayslater she is still a bit skittish and timid.......but getting to be herold self a little more each day.

Not trying to scare or put you off the idea - in fact I highly recomendit - but just like with little kids, you have to beready:)
What a scare. I am so glad Willowis OK.
jessica_jade - Welcome. It is greathaving a house bun, but yes, you do have to protect the wiring. Alsowatch out for TV remote controls - they seem to be a rabbit delicacy:p.

LuvaBun wrote:
jessica_jade - Welcome. It is great havinga house bun, but yes, you do have to protect the wiring. Also watch outfor TV remote controls - they seem to be a rabbit delicacy:p.
lolololol Most definately watch out for remote controlbuttons! ...I left my room once for less than five minutes and theywere all gone!! ...i now have to operate it with a pen !!

Bunny proof just like you would childproof your home. Then lay on the floor on your tummy and look around.This gives you a great view of what your rabbit can get into.

Apollo had run of the house day and night, but still had a cagefor the times I wasn't going to be home and couldn't bring him with me.He really enjoyed having somewhere that was all his and private.

Tina

my two are litter trained, and have almost fullrun of the house 24/7. You cant put anything like a spray onwires to keep them from chewing, you HAVE to block them off. Dont trustclean PVC either. They will chew through it. Tinais right, you have to babyproof. Dont trust that just because they knownot to go near something when you're there that they'll do the samewhen you're gone or asleep. they know when momma is watching and whenshe's not ;) bunnies will also chew corners.. anycorners. we stop this with ivory soap. but you have toreapply quite a bit or they start again. dont let them outfull run if you're worried about things gettingchewed/destroyed. dont let them have full run if you'reparanoid about having poops on the floor (litter training only goes sofar.. they stillpoohere and there, nothing major.)dont let them out if you cant block off every singlewire. and dont let them out if you dont like to hear bunnynoises lol.. if we're not up at at least 8 or 9am on the weekends theywill dig and chew atour bedroom door until we getup! after that they dont seem to give us much thought, butthey like to be near us anyways. they're my little goobers :)also.. they can make quite a mess with their hay etc.. gotta make surethey wont eat the carpet, or couch.. oh a number of things lol..most ofwhich, you learn the hard way depending on your bun's personality.

and to the question are they safe.. well.. as safe as you can make itreally. last fall I came home from my night job to find my MrLicks with a broken leg. we have no clue how he did it, though wesuspect he was running the bunny 500 around and hit something or caughthis leg on something. we'll never know. he's ok now, and thatwas the only incident.

I like that my two have lots of room to play and run..stretch out..they can get away from us if they want to, and can go hide in thebathroom when we cook lol.. they can leave quite a mess, but they'reworth it. could you resist these two?

Welcome to the forum Jessica_jade, :wave:

Pebbles isour house bunny. We setupthe hallway for her to play for about 5 hours aday.Wehave no electrical cordsthere. We also let her outside for 1 1/2 hours whenit's nice. The rest of the time she is in her cage withoutthe cover on, she never jumpsout. At night we do put the top on when we sleep.

Rainbows! :)

To bunny proof your wires, I used conduit. Youcan buy it at places that have auto mobile supplies. It's a ribbed tubewith a slit up the side, and you wrap it around your cords, and fastenit with zip ties...

Mechanics use it to protect the wires in car engines, and it comes in all sizes, and lengths.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see some pics!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back