Bunny Ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I looked for some time on this forum and on theinternet and have not had luck. I want to find out aboutrabbit ears. I know that some rabbits ears are lop and hang down andsome stand up. I want to know what it means when a rabbitwhose ears can stick upand they lay back. Our bunnyis happy and I see that sometimes her ears are up and sometimes theyare down and back. She never seems mad or scared so I waswondering if it meant anything. I think you all can tell that I am anew bunny mom :)

Some people and internet sitessay itmeans the rabbit is annoyed but that's not the case with my boys. Sofar I've only noticed them having their ears back when they're relaxedand disinterested in what's going on around them. I think that's all itmeans.

Hello,

My experience with my up-eared bunny Devon has been as follows. Earsstretched forward indicate curiosity / playfullness or uneasiness /anger. Standing straight up seems to be the neutral position. Earslayed back indicate relaxation.

And here is a website that you may find helpful. It is all about rabbit body language.
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

You all forgot animportant one I have witnessed just onceto darn often , that is, earsforward Feigning interest with a quick snap back tolay flat on their back and getbitten it happens before you finish ablink . I am very leery of a rabbitwith ears forward and coming atme I have seen them ears goflat back once to often and Inow know I will get bitten .

Thanks all! I think I have a very laid backbunny. She never seems upset at anything. If I wantto post pictures of Bunny, do I just start a thread and add to itwhenever?

P.S. This is a really nice forum. Everyone seems so nice and helpful. :)

Yes. You can start your own home thread, and post all your bunny pictures and stories.

And you are right about this forum. It is awesome. I don't belong to any other rabbit forums because there is really no need.

Can the ears laying back also mean they arestartled? Or trying to hide? Say if there are loudfighter jets flying over?

gypsy wrote:
You all forgot an importantone I have witnessed just once to darnoften , that is, ears forwardFeigning interest with a quick snap back to layflat on their back and get bitten ithappens before you finish a blink . I amvery leery of a rabbit with ears forwardand coming at me I have seenthem ears go flat back once tooften and I now knowI will get bitten .
I've never dealt with something like that so I wouldn't know. My boysrarely have both ears up unless really interested in something. Theyseem to have this one ear thing where one's down and the other's alwaysup. :?

My boys always come at me with ears forawrd, normally because it'sfeedign time or they think I have something (or they just want someloving). Plus, Mocha has only bit me once in the last year that Iremember about a week or so ago when I sprayed him to trying to biteKiara through the wire and he attacked me for it.

Kricket wrote:
Can the ears laying back also mean they arestartled? Or trying to hide? Say if there are loudfighter jets flying over?
If a loud fighter jet goes over, my boys would be guarenteed to haveboth ears up, standing on their back feet and Mocha would definitely bethumping. I've never met a startled rabbit with ears back, only ever up.

Latest posts

Back