Second hand hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

__DD__

__DD__
Reaction score
OK, my bunny already has a hutch which he has marked thoroughly, And I am happy with his current hutch, but I recently purchased a second hand one. The previous owners did say that the bunnies they had died ( I assume ,maybe, in the hutch?). This one is bigger than his, in the way that it has a below run, and a top house. I have cleaned it as best I can with the appropriate things, and he seems to be marking along the edges with his chin, however Do you think he can scent another animal has died in it?

He seems happy enough with the hutch ( Although I haven't tried him in there yet, as I am varnishing the wood, and making it weather proof.) He seems to be keen to get in there and mark all about, so maybe i am just being the squeamish one?

Is there anything else I can do to make sure nothing else is lurking about in there ( Disease wise?)

I'm not sure how to disinfect wood. I'm thinking of a wood cutting board if I accidentally use chicken on it... Maybe Lysol wipes, or bleach? Just make sure you dry it completely and air it out so it doesn't get moldy. Sorry I'm no help :)

No, to my knowledge, rabbits aren't medium so he won't know something died in it ^^. Besides, I don't think the death they didn't witness of a rabbit they don't know would hold much significance for a bunny. On the other hand the possible illness is a concern. That's the reason why I could never resolve myself to buy anything secondhand for my rabbits. I think most of the illnesses wouldn't survive in the wood, though, considering rabbit diseases are mostly transmitted via living vectors. My best bet to eliminate any risk of contamination would be bleach. But I assume you already did that.

Hmm, I'm not sure that he really minds about that last rabbit that passed in it...
Make sure not to use bleach or any other cleaners with bleach, the fumes are highly toxic and I wouldn't take any risk. But, make sure to check for mold or any rotting wood?

Does it get cold or hot where you are? Leave it outside if so for a few days. Temperature is a wonderful killer of all things icky!

Hmm, I'm not sure that he really minds about that last rabbit that passed in it...
Make sure not to use bleach or any other cleaners with bleach, the fumes are highly toxic and I wouldn't take any risk. But, make sure to check for mold or any rotting wood?
Bleach is safe to use.
It is not like your putting your rabbit in a bucket of bleach water.

Scrub it down. Rinse. Let it dry out for a few days. Then weatherproof it if you must.

Thanks all. I have cleaned it, Varnished it, and I may tack some insulation on the upper roof level ( On both hutches saying that.) Also going to paint ( The outside of it) it up to make it bright and cheerful! I may put him in it starting from the spring however (Despite how impatient he is to look about in it!), only because the weather here isn't so sunny, and it's quite open at the bottom, where the run is.

Latest posts

Back