Overeating or Normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
So got a new bunny. Im pretty sure he's a mini rex (the lady i got him from said he was a dwarf but he's a lot different than my other dwarf) but heres where i start worrying. He eats and eats and eats some more! I put a bowl of food in an he eats it all and then my mom goes and gives him more and he eats all that! When i put in greens he just chows down, carrots only exist for a minute along with other treats or food. Is this okay? Im pretty used to my other bunny who eats a bowl of food in 2 days and only really eats hay and greens and the occasional apple but usually ignores all treats!?

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398437024.748910.jpg

The lady said between 6months and a year so I'm not 100% sure on age. And i would say he weighs like 3ish pounds.

Some rabbits are just pigs like that. My Merlin is one, he'll eat as much food as you'll give him and still act like he's starving for more.

So YOU have to be the one limiting his food. Do not let him eat as much as he wants! Obesity is very very troublesome in bunnies. He already looks a bit on the plump side. Cut down hard on sugary treats like carrots and fruit, break up his meals so that he gets maybe half a bowl of pellets in the morning and another half at night, with veggies inbetween. Make these changes gradually of course, and keep in mind that as he gets older, he should get smaller portions of food as adult bunnies don't need as much nutrients as growing buns.

Let him eat as much hay as he wants, but limit everything else to appropriate amounts

mini rex can do that...

Measure feed him. He'll be happier and healthier for it.
Also give him stuff to do. Haven't met a mini rex yet who doesn't thrive on toys... a variety of toys to mess around with.

He really does look tons like a mini Rex. 😍

Yes, my bunnies love love love treats too. Just limit the treats and it will work out fine.

Moderation and variety is the key. Rabbits are natural foragers, so make eating a game to him and it should help with the binging. Here's are some tips I use with my buns to make sure they stay healthy.

Rabbits can quickly learn to adapt to a schedule, so try not to create one. If they know pellets come at a certain time, they can and will often refrain from eating anything else because they know something else is coming soon. My Anya was that way and was becoming quite a chubster.

Pellets - about 1/4 cup for every 5 lbs. I split everyone's portion throughout the day. I use a ceramic bowl, treat ball, dig box or randomly place little piles in different bunny favorite spots. My buns now don't have much interest in pellets and I end up throwing about half of the previous days portions away.

Veggies - I used clothes pins and random bunch a few veggies together and clip them to...anything really. Any where your bunnies can access. You can use a piece of string between 2 chairs and clips veggies to that also. I used to put it in a pile on a towel and they would munch, but they go through the veggies in the morning and look for more at night. So I had to switch it up.

Hay - They only food they have access to 24/7 is hay. Timothy, orchard and oat hays are used in their litter boxes, brown paper with hole punched into it, hay managers and toilet paper rolls filled with hay. Hay is the only aspect where overload is ok. Alfalfa is the only hay that should not be given to adult bunnies unless you are planning on breeding. It can be given on occasion, but I would avoid if possible.

Treats - It's super cute, especially when they learn to beg for it, but you wouldn't give your children ice cream every day right? Carrots are considered a treat to rabbits and should not be given freely. In this aspect, I just try to relate. I can have a dessert, but once or twice a week. Its the same thing. For example, if you do decide to give your rabbit a carrot, cut it up in a few pieces and have him look for it. That way he gets a treat, but he has to work for it. Mine feel that treats that are found, taste way better than treat handed out even though it the same thing. They do thing super happy eye squint thing when they find the treats I've hidden. It's this weird look of satisfaction..heard to explain, but if you see it, you know.

Exercise - The more exercise your rabbit can get, the better. Mine are free range indoors, so they are all pretty active. The foraging food methods I use keeps mine active, healthy and most importantly not bored. If you keep him in a pen and/or cage, try giving him more floor time to burn some more energy. Make feeding an exercise for them and its a win/win.

Everything I've listed is a work in progress. I'm always looking for new ideas or way to help improve my buns' lives. Not everything I do, will work for your bun and/or your situation, but I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back