Rabbit doesn't like being picked up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erinann

Reaction score
I have a 10 month old holland lop bunny (male). He is very sweet and has been handled since the day he was born. He loves being pet and interacting with us. However, he freaks out when he is picked up. I pick him up the right way but no matter what he just hates and claws to get away. Is there any way I can get him used to being held or at least picked up? Thanks!

Bunnies are prey animals. For them being picked up is associated with being dinner so most buns do not like being picked up although, there are exceptions. There are different ways in which you can pick your bun up. Some buns prefer one way over the other. Although some buns will never really enjoy being picked up they can learn to tolerate it.

How do you pick up your bun? Does he freak out when you are in the process of picking him up? While you are holding him off the ground ? Or while you are in the process of placing him back on the ground? Or the whole time?

I do know if you are nervous then the bun can pick up on that and that can make them unsure of being picked up, so be confident. Some buns are more relaxed when they can't see so the football hold works well for them.

You can reward your bun with a treat to help him get more comfortable. Either a tiny piece of veggie or fruit or even a pellet will work.

I'm sure others will be along that can be more of a help than me.

If you have a squirmer you have to make sure you get a good hold on him. Most don't like it, too bad, so sad, but you do have to train them to accept it or you'll be in for a nightmare anytime nails need trimming or you just need to check things like scent glands. You have to train your bunny and not let him train you. Consistency and perseverance are your allies.

You need to grip his back feet together in your palm so he can't kick and claw. Think of it as a "sausage roll" supporting his hindquarters. Holding him under his chest with your other hand, of course.

It can help if you pick him up and tuck his head into the crook of your elbow. It's called the football hold. This way they feel more secure and also their eyes are covered, which can make them feel more secure. But having said that, most rabbits dislike being picked up. It's not a natural place for them to be off the ground...unless being carried away by a predator:S
Your bun is perfectly normal in not liking it:) although it is disappointing for the human!

I have a 9 month old holland lop who also hates to be picked out. It's weird though, once I catch him he is fine! I can also pick him up super easy if he is sleepy. I don't think he was handled much before I got him so we are slowly working to build trust. I got him last September...

Question: when are rabbits no longer considered a teenager? And do they calm down/become less skittish after a year or so?

Louie, my rabbit, loves head rubs, doesn't run away when I go near him and he will jump in my lap for snacks but will not let me rub him down his back and still gets scared very easily. I know most rabbits don't like their hind end being touched but he's molting something awful and I need to brush him but he won't stay for me to do it! Any tips?

I have a 9 month old holland lop who also hates to be picked out. It's weird though, once I catch him he is fine! I can also pick him up super easy if he is sleepy. I don't think he was handled much before I got him so we are slowly working to build trust. I got him last September...

Question: when are rabbits no longer considered a teenager? And do they calm down/become less skittish after a year or so?

Louie, my rabbit, loves head rubs, doesn't run away when I go near him and he will jump in my lap for snacks but will not let me rub him down his back and still gets scared very easily. I know most rabbits don't like their hind end being touched but he's molting something awful and I need to brush him but he won't stay for me to do it! Any tips?

I think a Holland Lop would be considered a teenager from 3-6months. After 6 months he's fully grown. If you're talking about behaviour-wise, nope age doesn't really affect it once they're grown. Behaviour depends more on whether he is fixed, how comfortable he is with you, and the bunny's own personality.

Have you tried brushing him during feeding time? That's what I do. First thing in the morning after the bunnies have been "starving" all night, I take one out, put him on the table with a pile of pellets, and brush him as he digs in. They're usually too preoccupied with the food to care much.

I wish that I could pick up Kick to check for any issues with her. Archie isn't so bad, but Kick battles ferociously to get out of a grip. No matter how much I try to keep her feet from going all over the place she'll force herself out of my grip leaving me covered with painful and deep scratches, and if she still isn't down by then she bites me.

Rabbits generally don't enjoy being held and my rabbits calmed down at the age of three to very kind, loving friendly buns but yes they calm down a little at 1.

I have the same issue (doesn't want to be picked up) with my dwarf Netherland, Pepsi.
at first when i got her she always wanted to be picked up. I have decided she is a SHE because i cant get her to cooperate for me to check her out. I have some idea on how to cut the nails but i cant hold her long enough to cut them :( she lives free in our apartment as she has since i got her at xmas at 7 weeks but does have "Pepsi only" places. She atleast jumps up beside me on the couch and allows me to stroke her and loves her "head squishies" and shows me her love in ways of kisses and grooms me, but i wont give up on my little lovey that one day she will let me pick her up again, but for now I'm good with her bunny kisses and groomsing of me. (Weird though, she doe not groom my boyfriend or kiss him much at all :s so he thinks Pepsi doesnt like hi
(She also pees on him all the time)

I'm working on getting my bunnies used to handling. They both hate it, run away, kick and squirm, but tonight I was able to successfully hold both of them for a few minutes and reward them with a treat each. I hope this is a step in the right direction. It's not impossible, but it takes time. :pray:

I just want to be able to safely handle them in emergencies, for feeding medicine, trimming nails, checking them over, etc. It wouldn't hurt to have a cuddle every now and again, either!

Well, I may never get to pick up and cuddle my bunnies, but thankfully I won't have to worry too much about examining them or anything like teeth/nail trimming. One half of their pen is on concrete paving stones and the other half is on grass, and they have plenty of wood toys to nibble on, so they're wearing them down themselves. I gave them a recent dose of pancur since we noticed cat poop in the grass a few weeks ago and it's been 6 months since they were first reintroduced back outdoors. I managed to sneak the pancur inside a large strawberry and gave them one each. I think Kick's beginning to like me again as she's letting me pet her. I think that's as far as we're going to go in terms of human contact, lol.

No bunny likes being picked up. I think it's because they are naturally prey and in the wild being picked up would mean being eaten.

Latest posts

Back