Horse hay for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlife

Reaction score
Okay so at my local farm they sell sweet smelling Timothy grass for horses. I was wondering if this hay/ grass would be suitable for my rabbits and guinea pigs. It's dust free. I've attached a picture and description below. Please answer if you've done research on this or are qualified as I don't want to put my animals at riskImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1399122158.667194.jpg... Thank you :)

I'm not familiar with that particular brand but we buy bales of horse quality coastal hay for our rabbits. Horse quality is fine for rabbits. The fresher the better.

Timothy hay is absolutely okay, but what's in that picture is haylage (and you can also tell because of the relatively high moisture content since it's 60% dry matter) which is essentially fermented hay. It may well be safe, as in general anything safe for horses to eat is okay for buns, but without looking more into it I wouldn't feed haylage to my rabbit.

We did a lot of research and asked the farmer a lot of questions and in the end we came out with its suitable for rabbits. This is the best hay we've ever bought and the buns love it!

Did research on haylage and it's not good for rabbits and can be dangerous so going to have to go in the bin.

Interesting...never heard of haylage, but it sounds like it can cause bloat if the sugar content is too high. I'd stick with hay.

Back