Bonding progress

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had Bridget (in profile pic) for almost 2 years. 9 days ago we adopted a male mini lop called Alfie, because I thought Bridget could benefit from having a friend. They're both desexed and have gentle friendly personalities. I've been bonding them daily in the neutral territory of my bathroom and the rest of the time they life separately on my balcony, but can still see and smell one anotherImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1399181560.952099.jpg. Bonding got off to a good start, by the second session there was some grooming, and aggression has been minimal. However I can't seem to get them to make that leap from tolerating each other to falling in love. During the bonding sessions there is a fair bit of grooming, the odd nip here and there, but they spend most of the time just completely ignoring each other. Is there anything I can do to speed the process up because I'm worried we'll be stuck at this "tolerating one another" stage for a while otherwise. I took them on a stress bonding car ride today for 30 minutes, and followed it up with another bathroom bonding session, but their behaviour didn't change at all. They mainly just ignore each other and have a nap instead. Is this normal or is there something else I can do?

They look very comfortable with each other! Why do you think they're not in love yet? Some bunnies just aren't the affectionate types, and even pairs who are very close don't always sit together and groom like an old married couple. Just the fact that one of them is stretched out facing away from the other tells me that they've already got a strong trust relationship.

As long as there is no aggression or fighting when they're left together for 24 hours, you can safely consider them bonded.

You lucky duck. *side-eyes my two impossible-to-bond bunnies* Grr.

They do look comfortable together and are ignoring each other which is a good sign. Mine often sit separately when they are out, in the afternnons, they are always in different spots to sleep. They do also cuddle and groom together but that will come with time. Sounds like they are doing well so far.

Thanks for the replies, I think I interpret them facing away from each other to mean that they don't really like each other that much, but maybe you're right and they are just not overly affectionate by nature. I'll keep up the bathroom sessions for another week then reassess from there. They are complicated creatures these bunnies!

Believe me, if they didn't like each other they would never let their guard down like that. They'd be facing each other at all times, fearing the other would attack them. And they would never lie down and close their eyes! A bunny who does that is a bunny who feels completely at ease with everyone around him.

Latest posts

Back