One rabbit on his own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liomeeringca

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post here! Decided to get some proper advice about my predicament that I have.

I have an 8 year old dwarf lop male rabbit, who lost his bonding partner (a dwarf lop female) three years ago. We have never gotten another rabbit to keep him company over this period. He is happy and healthy, interested in the world around him, binkies despite his age (!) and sleeps rather a lot, as you would expect from an old man. He eats well, and eats often. He lives inside now, in our kitchen which is busy from the various mealtimes and doing homework on the dining table etc. He grooms himself, but some help is needed to get those hard-to-reach spots from a brush. He is very sweet in temperament, and always wants some fuss if you pass him by.

And yet, with all this in mind, I cannot settle on whether he needs a friend. I understand that rabbits are sociable animals, hence why we had two for five years. He is very old, and I worry that a new flashy young thing might disturb him... but at the same time, he may enjoy the company when for example we are out of the house. I worry that he may be bullied by the younger one... but the younger one may like taking care of him and vice versa. If we do get another rabbit, what will happen to them when he passes away? (although I'm pretty sure he'll live forever, :wink) I am also leaving home soon, hopefully in the next 6 months... I just have a lot of variables and I don't know what to do with them D:

My neighbour breeds rabbits, and one of her does has recently had a litter of three, two being up for sale. My neighbour has offered me a baby bunny, once he or she is old enough...:dunno:

Help would be much appreciated!

Hi, Your thoughts are correct about finding another bunny to bond with your older bunny. At his age, this new situation might stress him more than help him. There is the bonding process that needs to take place. With some bunnies, bonding never occurs or might take a long time. It they were to bond, at his age, the lives together would be short. You would end up where you started finding another bunny to bond. If he is happy,I think leave things the way they are. As long as he has toys and stimulating activities in his enclosure, he will be OK. The beauty of a bonded pair is so precious. I understand why you would think of finding him a companion. Good luck with your decision.:bunnyhug:

Bunnies can be very happy on their own in the right environment. The problem with getting a baby bun is that they will be fine now but you cannot consider them bonded. When baby hits puberty, they will probably fight, you will need to get separate them, get baby neutered and then go through the bonding process. If you have a shelter near you, you could look at doing bunny dates to find a companion for yours. I must admit I do like the interaction and relationships between them, I have three and I love watching them groom each other and cuddle and play and eat together.

if he's happy and healthy and doing well on his own.. I wouldn't be stressing hi by adding a partner to the mix. I can see getting a new bunny in prep for when he passes away, but I would be hesitant to get him a "friend".

Back