Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lover4daisy

Reaction score
Hello!

My rabbit's name is Daisy. When I got her she was a sweet rabbit, and I would always take her out of her cage and let her roam around the house. About a year a go, She would not let me take her out of the cage without a fight. Now, I really want to get her to turn back tot he wonderful rabbit when I got her, so she can go back to the same rabbit she was. Does any one have any tips or tricks I can use to help asses this issue. Is it even possible to get her personality back? :?

Thanks for using your time to read this!

Is Daisy spayed ? It could be hormonal behaviour as she reached maturity.

No she is not spayed. She is about three years old. What is the range of spaying?

If she is a healthy girl, she is still young enough. Spaying, apart from thr prevention of uterine cancer can get rid or lessen agressive behaviour they start to manifest at puberty and can make them more manageable. I have 3 boys and had them neutered as soon as they hit puberty as they were fighting and spraying. It stopped the spraying and the fighting eventually stopped as well. They are three happy boys now sharing their space.

I am sure someone withe a female will post with their experience.

Neuter for sure. Also read up on rabbit behavior and make sure that you are the Alpha in the relationship or you'll get bullied. I tell everyone I know to make sure they train their rabbit and not let the rabbit train them. Rabbits are excellent at training humans.

It sounds like hormones and you might need to consider getting her spayed. There is no age limit for getting a spay and it will depend on her overall health. When you call the vet, explain that she is over 3 years old and they will probably have you do a full blood panel to make sure she is healthy enough to survive the surgery and recovery. Make sure to give your vet past health issues you have had with her.

As far as letting her out of her cage, is there a way you can just leave the door open and have her go and come and she pleases? Sebastian, my most affectionate of my bunch, detest being held. He will come and lay his head on my leg if I'm reading a book, but when the time comes to trim nails its always a fight.

Back