Thumping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud_the_bunny

Reaction score
Cloud, my bunny, has been thumping when I put her in her cage for the night. It's only at night when she does this. What can I do to help her so she doesn't get upset about going to bed?

Is her cage hard for her to see out of? Anything blocking her view of the room around her? Rabbits can feel unsafe if they think they can't see predators coming. Sometimes it's just the room she's in. Shadows from birds or traffic moving past at night can be unsettling.

Does she have toys to occupy her and keep her from getting bored?

Do you let her out or give her food when she thumps?

She can see out of her cage, and there's plenty of toys for her. I fill her bowl up at night so she has plenty. Maybe the big picture window in the room. Maybe I could move her cage tonight before put thing her to bed.

My rabbit does the same thing at night sometimes (usually around 3am), I just always thought he had a nightmare or something. Oddly enough he can see out of his cage too, and I even put a nightlight near his cage.

My male is the same way. Nothing new in the house, no change in the position of the cage. He just randomly wakes me up a few nights thumping around 4-5am. He does it a few times and then stops.

It could be they are hearing something that spooks them that you don't hear with your tiny,puny human ears. :)

Thumper was thumping one night and he doesn't spook easily at all. I didn't notice anything different or hear anything. A little while later I went outside and could hear an owl. I figured he could hear it inside when I couldn't.

If it's later at night when it gets dark, then maybe she's scared of the dark? Bunnies can't see very well in the dark (their eyes are adapted for low-light conditions, like dawn and dusk, rather than nighttime darkness).

One of my bunnies is scared of the dark and so we leave a night light on for him. That stopped the thumping. Well, except for when we had a power outage in the middle of the night - boy, was he upset about that!

Latest posts

Back