my 2 bunnies ignore me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katrin

Reaction score
Hi,
About 4 weeks ago I got 2 little bunnies after my previous bunny passed away :(. He was so cute and loving, loved the fuss, followed me around the house, miss him so much :(. I decided to get 2 little brothers so they wouldnt be lonely and bored when im at work, and they were already bonded what made it easier. They are cute and happy together, I love to watch them playing, my only problem is they are not interested in interacting with me at all, they are quite happy together, they dont want any fuss and just run away from me. Is it going to change later on, as I only got them 4 weeks ago? Is there anything I can do about it?

I've always found there is one key to a bunny's heart... food :D

How do you feed them? If they are willing to come up to you, consider hand feeding them their pieces of veg at least, then they may learn to associate you with food. Perhaps even split up their veg so you give them a chunk of something each time you go past them. It might make them happy to see you :nod

Try sitting with them in a smaller space, such as an xpen or bathroom, so that they will have to interact with you more. You basically leave them alone at first, and as they get more interested in interacting with you, then you can start letting them smell your hand, and gradually start trying to pet them. Also take a look at this link on bonding with your rabbit.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/bonding-your-bunny-29064/

One other thing I'll mention, if your buns are still babies, as they mature and start getting their hormones in, it can start causing humping and problems to occur. Usually around 3-4 months old they need to be separated to prevent fights. Though in very rare occasions, intact male rabbits won't fight, most often they do, and these fights can be vicious and sometimes fatal. The best thing is to get them neutered as soon as their plums come in, and as soon as you can get a vet to do it. You may or may not have to split them up before this time. If you have to split them up, then you will need to go through rebonding them. If your buns are neutered already, never mind :)

I've always found there is one key to a bunny's heart... food :D

How do you feed them? If they are willing to come up to you, consider hand feeding them their pieces of veg at least, then they may learn to associate you with food. Perhaps even split up their veg so you give them a chunk of something each time you go past them. It might make them happy to see you :nod

Thank you :) I will try it :)
:thanks:

A word of caution about the 2 brothers

I would definitely keep a close eye on their relationship. They are so young now they probably get along great, but as soon as the hormones kick in, it may become a dangerous situation to keep them together. Rabbits can go from playing to fighting in less than a second and fights can get pretty brutal. If you are planning on keeping them together, I would 100% recommend getting them neutered as soon as their "jewels" drop. (keke, trying to be delicate here) It will ultimate provide you with a happier, more relaxed pet.

I have to agree with Bindi. The quickest way to their heart is with food. They associate you with good things and learn to be happy and excited to see you. Sometimes it will ultimately depend on your rabbit. For example, my Bino stays a distance of 3 ft from everyone, bunnies included, and will only come to me if I shake the treat jar. H'es slowly coming around, but food is his only real motivation to be social. And I have Sebastian who can never get enough attention.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your advises. It helped a lot.
The food definitely works! My bunnies are excited now every time they see me because they associate me with food treats :)
I had them both neutered as soon as it was possible to avoid them fighting. Unfortunately they had few very violent moments just after the procedure when their hormones were still all over the place. Now they are brilliant together again, they live happily in the same cage and play together all the time.
Thank you so much for all your advices it helped a lot. Now my bunnies follow me because they associate me with food. They are still not so much up for a cuddles but that is just their personality. I love to watch my two brothers together, they are just super cute :)

Latest posts

Back