Diarrhea in adult rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaotilia

Reaction score
Someone can inform me about the best diet for diarrhea and for severe diarrhea.
The first one is not very abundant and rabbit eats by itself, the second one is very abundant and he doesn't want to eat.
Thanks for Yr advice.
Anaotilia

P.S. At the moment I have not this problem, but I want to be ready in case it happens.

True watery diahreea is an emergency situation in rabbits and they will need to be seen by a vet ASAP if this is the case.

Mushy poops that are sticky are usually due to poor diet. You don't mention what you're feeding and how much of it. Make sure that fresh hay is always available, I'm not sure what types you have there but timothy hay, meadow, orchard grass and oaten hay are all good choices.

Hay should be the largest portion of the diet, pellets should be fed in a limited amount, for an average sized rabbit 1/4 cup of pellets per day is plenty. Fresh leafy greens such as herbs (cilantro, basil, rosemary, parsley) and romaine and dark leaf lettuce varieties can be fed but should only be introduced very slowly, one at a time. Sudden diet changes can cause soft poops, as can a diet too rich in greens or treat foods such as carrot, fruits, and muesli mixes that are often sold for rabbits.

What I would like to know which kind of food I can give to an adult rabbit under severe diarrhea in case he doesn't want or not have the force to eat by himself.
Thanks.
Anaotilia

p.s. not always it is possible to go to a veterinary.

If you have rabbit pellets you can soften them up with a little bit of water to create a paste which you can syringe into the mouth from the side.

Otherwise, if you can order Oxbow's critical care for herbivores, that can be mixed with water and syringe fed as well.

I would bring him to the vet ASAP diarrhea is a serious problem for rabbits.

Latest posts

Back