Big Hay Problem-please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppy9070

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in a serious dilemma when it comes to finding hay for my girl, where I live is experiencing extreme droughts (dam levels are the lowest they have ever been) and that means a hay shortage! I managed to scrounge 2 bales of meadow hay over the summer (dec) but it has now run out. Everywhere within 2 hours from me only has Lucerne/Alfalfa hay for $20 AUD a bale, not only expensive but not good for the bunn. You can buy compressed bales of Timothy but in ridiculously small bags for about $15 each. I'm at a loss and nearly out of food/bedding. Should I go with the Lucerne and only give in small amounts? (this leaves bedding as an issue) or just go with the pre-packaged?
Any help or ideas greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

That does sound frustrating. Are you using the hay as bedding as well as for eating? I'd recommend using something else for bedding (most rabbits do well on just a solid floor and you can use something like wood pellets, paper pellets or even newspaper in the litter box). Then offer the hay in elevated hay feeders to reduce waste.

Yes, can you provide a rough location within Aus? There might be someone nearby you that can help you out, even if it's purchasing hay from further away and meeting in a middle point.

Latest posts

Back