Circling, nipping, licking to biting all in the matter of 5 minutes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMea

Reaction score
So I did read up on rabbit behaviour -- and I know nipping can mean a lot of different things.
Monroe and I were hanging out on my bed together and I was cruising the net looking for bunny toy idea. She began circling me and then shoved her way under my arm -- I took this as she wanted attention so I stopped and scritched her behind the ears, gave her a couple body rubs and stopped because usually she hops away after that. She nibbling me so I went oh okay she really wants attention and continued to pet her with one hand and use the computer with my other. She was clicking her teeth so I was like Wow, she is really enjoying this.

All of a sudden she bites my arm even though I am petting her and she is all cuddled up to my chest. I squealed 'Ouch!' and pulled away. Next thing I know she is circling me again so I get back to a position where she can curl up, which she does and begins licking me. I figured from what I read it was an 'I'm sorry. I love you, love me back' So I began petting her again and not even a minute later she tried to bite again.

I said enough and put her back in her hutch, which she is jumping around and eating and totally happy again -- did I just misinterpret what she wanted? Was she just saying enough, I want to go back into my home?

Oh just to add on -- she is 5 months old now and was spayed on March 17th -- I know it takes time for hormones to work out of her system but I don't think this is hormone related?

Can she get in her hutch by herself? Does she have good potty habits? If so, it might be something like 'I hafta pee, and I need to do it at my place'.

Can she get in her hutch by herself? Does she have good potty habits? If so, it might be something like 'I hafta pee, and I need to do it at my place'.

Not from the bed, however she had just peed about 20 mins previously on the bed before she got all cuddly and did not go anywhere near her litterbox when I put her back. She ate some hay, drank some water and then binky'd around before sitting and grooming herself for 20 mins. lol

Her pen and hutch is right beside my bed so I usually know she wants to go back because she goes towards there and starts looking in to it.

I suggest you create a step so that she can hop from the bed and down to her cage. It is important for a bunny to be able to access her cage at will. This helps them feel secure knowing they can get there whenever they want. The cage is their sanctuary (or should be).

As for the nips, bunnies can be smart. She knows if your attention is on the computer and not on her. She could have been wanting your full attention. Nevertheless, that isn't a good behavior. If she does it again, you could try immediately pushing (firmly/gently) her head down with your hand and holding it for a few seconds. This is how a momma bunny disciplines her kits.

Latest posts

Back