Peeing Behaviot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joei0005

Reaction score
I've had my 4 year old Holland Lop for 2 years. It took about 6 months before he truly trusted me.

Unlike when he live at my sister-in-laws, where he was caged for around 22 hours a day, he has complete freedom in our 500 square foot Manhattan apartment.

He appears to be a very happy bunny who is very attached to my wife and to me. But he treats us slightly differently.

He seems to like to per right next to or directly on top of me. At night, I lie on the couch.

He sometimes sits in wee-wee pad by my feet. Other times, he sits close to me and pees..

Other times, he climbs on top of me by my shoulder and I feed him kale while he sits there. Sometimes, he just starts peeing as he's eating and sitting on my shoulder.

What does this Behavior me and how can I stop it? He is so stubborn!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1459265697.692508.jpg

First question with this sort of thing is always going to be is he neutered? Rabbits that aren't nuetered or spayed are more prone to territorial peeing. If he's been doing it for some time neutering him will likely help but the peeing may not stop completely because he may simply be in the habit of doing it now. But neutering is often a first step for eliminating territorial marking behaviours and I would strongly consider it if he hasn't been done already.

If he's neutered, the peeing is something he's doing probably because he likes to pee on the nice soft couch (bunnies love to pee on soft things), and as a way to show ownership or possession of you as well. He's marking you because you're his territory. Stopping it is going to be more tricky. What do you do when he does it? Do you pick him up and put him in his litter tray? Fixing the issue may be a matter of prevention for example, don't let him up on your shoulders, and don't let him move from the wee pad on the couch when you're there with him. Either that, or get a bigger blanket that you can use a pee mat that you can have with you on more of the couch. A blanket like a fleece cage liner made for c & c cages would probably work well. That way he can still enjoy couch time with you, but you don't have to panic about the couch being ruined.

Also he's super cute, and don't worry about him being stubborn, ALL rabbits are stubborn.

Latest posts

Back