Pellet Predicament

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger-Pond

New Rabbit Mom
Reaction score
Hello there, everybunny!

I'm back with another question for you all, but this time it is about diet. Ginger, my four-month old rabbit, has been eating adult timothy-based pellets ever since I got her. At that time, I had a six-month old rabbit named Pond who was eating them as well. Unfortunately, Pond passed away on Valentine's Day due to an intestinal blockage resulting from his megacolon disease. As sad as this was, I need to take care of baby Ginger. As she is still a growing girl, I wanted to switch her pellets to Oxbow Young Rabbit and I've transitioned her over to the new food during a few weeks. However, I've noticed that Ginger doesn't like the new pellets and barely picks at them. Her poops have suffered as a result and are less shapely and slightly smaller than they used to be. Ginger has an unlimited bowl of pellets as she is still very young along with unlimited hay and a bowl of fresh veggies once a day.

Should I keep Ginger on her new pellet diet, even though she doesn't eat much and her poops are suffering? Or should I switch her back to her old adult food which isn't as good as the Oxbow brand?

A change of pellets shouldn't affect her poops that way. What you describe indicates a lack of fibers. How much hay is she eating? I would reduce the amount of pellets anyway and try to find a more appetizing hay if she isn't eating enough of it (I admit it's not always easy - I just opened a bag of good-smelling green dust-free hay, being very confident it would be appreciated, but my two monsters decided it wasn't that great and barely eat half of it for god knows which reason ^^').

Latest posts

Back