My rabbit came pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raisingchaos

Reaction score
I woke up to babies, we researched and went and bought a nesting box and gloves and petted her before moving entire nest hair and babies into nesting box. Now she is pulling more hair out and building another nest outside of box and whens she not doing that she jumping as high as possible and falling onto babies on accident well the falling is. She landed on one and it screamed out. She won't calm down what's wrong with her and can we do anything to help her stop this craxy behaviour?

Can you put the nestbox back where she build her first nest? Or the nest without the box? Maybe put a big cardboard box with one side cut open over it, and show the kits to the doe, put her face on the kits, 2 or three times, and then give her some privacy and peace :)

That worked for me when I relocated a nest from an earth hole in the garden into the hutch last year.

She is confused because the nest moved, that's something that doesn't happen in nature, and knowing where the nest is is very important to the doe, it may take some time to get it into her brain that the nest moved. Normally, if a nest is somewhere else, it's not hers, but that of another doe.

Maybe confine her in that general area for a few days with an exercise pen or so, and give her rest.

Last edited:
I'd be removing the nestbox and return it in a couple of hours to the generalized area where she had the kits. Does do adjust to their nestboxes being moved...

Honestly she just sounds like a ditzy first timer. You remove the box to ensure the safety of the kits. removing it won't negate her care of them, just keeps the kits safe.

if she remains ditzy, keep the nestbox out except when she nurses them (so return the box to her twice a day).

She has managed to calm down and we are in day 3 with no babies lost which I'm surprised after everything I've read. We had to put a cover on her cage to block view from our other rabbit and our cat. She's an indoor rabbit and thou her cage is the biggest the nesting box took a lot of the room, so we were limited on where to move it. She finally stopped building another nest. I did put her in the nesting box and showed her the babies when I moved them. I read a lot of sites but non ever mentioned rabbit jumping straight up and falling. Thank you all for the help I was loosing it trying to figure out how to keep her safe and them safe.

Latest posts

Back