small spot on bo - ringworm?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Bo has had something going on for awhile now. I thought it was just the weather and it could still be but he's been having this weird molt and it's big blotches and he gets new hair but...... it seems constant!

Yesterday I was brushing out what seemed to be a blowing coat and he has a lot of new hair coming in or in..... and then I felt it. Just a little bump that feels like a pimple or something. I sort of scratched it and he liked that - and it flaked a little skin but not much. This isn't the size of a pencil eraser. It's the only one and not in the center of the molt pattern.

Any clue? is it just an injury maybe from fighting with the girls? or a flea bite or something?

And should I give him anything for it or put anything on it?

His molt pattern is bilateral - but the one side is heavier than the other. His head is molting too. The only bald spots are where I have either plucked or brushed him and the edges are not grown in yet - but you can see the dark hair coming through.

Am I paranoid? :?

Hmm... Seems kinda like a mosquito bite to me :? Or maybe he annoyed the girls a little too much.
But I've never had problems with ringworm, so I don't know the signs.
I'm sure other members can help, though ;)
Good luck, and we'll hope it's just a bug bite!

~Diana and Butter

I hope that's it too! He's just always seeming to be molting sometimes! He always gets his hair back tho..... so maybe it's just the flux in temps around here.

Clover molts a lot too but it's less noticeable on her - and she just did a heavy molt. I brushed her one day and I could have made another bunny!

Dill had huge patches missing at one point, his hair was coming out in clumps with new hair underneath. We decided it was just a weird rex-style moult.

However,he hasn't done it since, and I think it was last fall, so Isuspect the problem might have beena flea. Right around that time I found one on the cat. And this is coming into flea season -- the little buggers start getting cold out in the grass and move to warmer digs.

I treated the cats with Advantage, vacuumed the house and they all went away. I didn't treat the bunnies, but Dill didn't have a problem after that. (I think the bunnies were the last resort for the fleas, I don't think they hang around on them too long).

sas :)

What about fur mites or something similar that could be causing skin irritation? Sorry I dunno much about these things so I am hoping someone else can offer better help.

Here'spics ofDill's patches.

100_2161.jpg

100_2146.jpg

100_2156.jpg

Oh wait, here's a video. :)

Anyhoo, doubt Bo has ringworm, I think that's more oftenriings around the neck and shoulder area andcan be scaleyI think, and I don't think ithasthe growth underneath. I'll have to look that up.

I did come to the conclusion that it was a mini-rex moult thing, others had the same moult patternwhen I checked around. Ijustdon't believe in coincidences,there were fleas in the house.I may beeven spotted one on Dill, although he didn't have any flea residue, so I wasn't sure.

I'll see if I can find my old Dill moult thread.

(And SO NICE to see you posting again!) :wave:

sas :)

OMG! That's exactly the same as Bo's molting! It's just a little further back than Bo's.

and might I say that Dill is absolutely precious! I liked his attitude - "Leave me alone you crazy person! don't you see I'm trying to fluff?!?!" :D

I think the little bump might be a bite - haven't seen fleas but that doesn't mean much. Could be a scratch he got too rough or could be a bite from another bunny.

UPDATE:

Bo has blown his coat nearly all of his left side is new hair coming in. It's just some weird molt he's doing. His face is all new hair under the stuff coming out - and then he has some bare lines surrounding where I plucked the loose stuff. They'll cover in hair in a day or so.

He's NEVER shed this much fur in one area at one time...... usually it's a line moving back as he sheds..... Both sides are shedding but his right side is always later than his left... Cloverbunny shed a ton of hair too..... I think winter may be wet from seeing how slick she is! :shock:

yeah, sounds like a rex thing. We have one at the shelter who has gone completely naked on her back- like a saddle, its hilarious.

As for the bump, it could have been any kind of bite, or scratch or even maybe an ingrown hair? Id just watch for excessive itching and/or irritation but sounds like Bo should be ok ;)

Thanks!

It's so strange because you don't really understand how DENSE their hair can be until they molt. I always think Bo is fat, but a lot of it is his thick hair!

Latest posts

Back