My rabbit has neck fat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReflectionOfImperfection

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My Mini Lop is about a year old, and she has neck fat. When shewould run, she would sometimes stop and start to nibble on it, like it's in her way(LOL). Is neck fat bad? Any advice/information will help.

Thanks!

It's called a dew lap. The girls get them and they are normal. Some bunnies have more than others. I think if the rabbit is spayed it tends to be smaller, but not always. :)

I agree and am sure that she is fine. Probably as she grows older and has developed a dewlap she is still getting used to it. I hear that Katie's rabbit Fraggles occassionally carries her's around in her mouth. Maybe some rabbits are more sensitive.

Thats good to hear.
My other rabbit who passed, also had that, but it didn't concern me at the time because it didn't bother her at all.
Do all female rabbits have them?

My female bunny Mochi always overgrooms it for some reason so there's a bald spot on her dewlap! so cute. :)

Yep! Just her dewlap. Thing of it like rabbit boobies. Tis true that sometimes when the females are fixed they can be much smaller. It's perfectly normal!

Now, time to find her a bra! :bunnydance:

silly question.......

could you put a bunny on a diet resulting in loss of weight or fat in dewlap?

My bun had a giant dewlap until she got spayed. Now it's barely noticeable, even though she weighs slightly bit more than she did prior to spaying.

I'm not sure weight loss would help the dewlap. It's probably hormonal, just like boobies (although they can have fatty tissue, too).

TheJadeRabbit wrote:
Yes they all females have them. So bigger than others. And that is were they also pull the hair out for nests.

This is actually not true. There are rabbit breeds who can be Disqualified from a show if they have a dewlap. Tans, Britannia Petites, Polish, Himalayans and even Netherland Dwarfs are some of these breeds.

As far as ways to get rid of it part of it is determined by breed or genetics. And with mixes sometimes its avoidable with proper exercise and feeding.

woahlookitsme wrote:
TheJadeRabbit wrote:
Yes they all females have them. So bigger than others. And that is were they also pull the hair out for nests.

This is actually not true. There are rabbit breeds who can be Disqualified from a show if they have a dewlap. Tans, Britannia Petites, Polish, Himalayans and even Netherland Dwarfs are some of these breeds.

As far as ways to get rid of it part of it is determined by breed or genetics. And with mixes sometimes its avoidable with proper exercise and feeding.

Really? Hmmmm I learned something today.

Latest posts

Back