Bunnies Mouth is swollen.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxxy1584

Reaction score
HI I i just bought a mini rex sr doe from a showabout 2 weeks ago. she was a lil bit under weight but the breeder saidshe just was weaned from babies. so i brought her home and she hasgained alot of her weight back but now one side of her face isswollen and i don't know why. it kinda looks like some thingor some one hit her in the side of the face or kinda like when we go tothe dentist and they numb our mouths and its all puffy till the numbmedication goes away. . she stoped drinking out of a bottle so i gaveher a bowl to drink water out of and she gulps that down like nothing.but she won't touch her food much. when i first got her she would eatall her food like she was neaver feed very well and she would also tryto sit in the dish till i gave her a old towl to sit on cause she hassore hocks. but i am still worried about her mouth being swollen. she'sbee like that for 2 days now and i called the vet and there are noopenings till monday after noon so any help would be great ful thanks.from holly.

Hi Roxxy1584,

I'm wondering if it's a small cut, a tooth spur, or an abcess.

I'd take her to the vet too. I'm sure PamNock will have something of value to add. Make sure she continues to stay hydrated.

Do keep us posted when you find out more.

-Carolyn

I agree with Carolyn, Roxxy. Somethingserious is amiss within your bun's mouth. I hope she can holdout until your veterinary appointment. Hydration is extremelyimportant, as Carolyn mentioned.

Hi my bunny went to the vet and she has a hair ballin her system and also the vet said that her jaw looks a lil uneventhat is why her jaw is sowllen the vet gave her injection to help herdigest some of her food but i have to force feed her with a criticalcare podwer and also give her yogurt , and also give her laxatone toallow the hair ball to come up. they said some thing else but can'trember what it was to many big words lol. but i have to take her backin on thursday for another check up . the vet said once her mouth islil less swollen he will go and take a btter look at her mouth and mayhave to clip her back teeth really low to help the swollen go down moreand heal alot better. more updates about her will be coming on thursdayafter vet appt.

Thanks so much for the update, Roxxy1584.Does the vet think he'll have to give her some medication in order toget a good look at her mouth? Just curious.

Thanks again and please keep us posted on her progress. Youwere really wise to bring her in. You're right on top ofit. She's lucky she fell into your capable hands.

-Carolyn

HI . my bunny is doing better but she has to go infor mouth surgery. cause she has spurrs in the back part of her mouthso i have to take her in early and leave her there till they are donewith her mouth . she is eatting alot better though and when i got hershe weight 2/1/2 lbs and now she's 4/1/2 lbs. im really happy that she'is at the weight of a mini rex but not happy that she was not took careof good and she has to go threw all this pain but hoping that she willfeel better after she has her surgery. i will keep you updated aftershe has her surgery on her. mouth thanks alot for all who has bewriting back to me.

Hi Roxxy1585

She'll feel 100% better when the operation's done. I'll be praying foryou both. Let us know when she gets home. I'm so happy that she'sgained weight!

Thanks so much for writing.

-Carolyn

Hi just wanted to say tomorrow at 8am my bunny isgoing in for surgery for her mouth . she is getting alot better also.when i got her she was about 2/1/2 lbs not a good weight for a mini rexesp her size. now she's at the weight of 4.8. and im very happy. i havebeen giving her the daily medicine the vet gave me plus feeding herbaby food, yogurt and her daily foods and hay. im happy that she's upto weight and healthy enough to go threw the surgery tomorrow. about aweek ago she ended up with 2 abscesses around her nose and under herchin the vet took care of that and i got medicine to put on the wounds2 time a day and they are healing really nice. i will keep every oneupdated on how my bunnies sugery goes tomorrow and keep you updated onhow well she heals .

Hi Roxxxy,

Did you hear how the surgery went? Perhaps I'm in a differenttime zone as you, but it's noon here and I'd imagine you would've beencalled by now.

Please keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back