Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Leaving Bunny alone for ?# of days

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Aki
Liked 202 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I often have to leave my rabbits when i have business trips. Under 36h they do fine on their own with a big pile of hay (i generally give two different kind of hay)、their vegetables (about 80 percent of what they would have eaten normally and mostly leafy greens), but only half of the pellets. When it's longer i have someone come twice a day. I prepare everything (i weight and cut the vegetables and everything ) and the person is instructed to give hay and pellets in the morning and hay and vegetables in the evening. It works fine for me but my rabbits are free ranged in a room.

BlackMiniRex Likes This 
Old 07-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
Kinai
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I was not going to just leave the hay in the litter box but there was going to be a good bit of it. I am going to have to get AJ used to my friend who is gonna be the one to interact with him.

I will "train" him to care for AJ. All vet info for BOTH furkid will be left here in case of emergency. Luckily neither have any big allergies

Old 07-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 679 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinai View Post
I was not going to just leave the hay in the litter box but there was going to be a good bit of it. I am going to have to get AJ used to my friend who is gonna be the one to interact with him.

I will "train" him to care for AJ. All vet info for BOTH furkid will be left here in case of emergency. Luckily neither have any big allergies
Your friend doesn't really have to "interact" with AJ at all - just provide his food, hay & water. Of course it's fine if he does, but there really is no need to bother your friend for frequent "get to know bunny" sessions.

Here's a sample of what I meant for "simple instructions." [you would need to have appropriate size scoop for pellet food]

Don't make things too complicated. It really is just as simple as printing out the following for your friend.

DAILY AJ CARE

- Refresh water
- Add hay (amount about his body size)
- Give one scoop of pellet food

People Like This 
Old 07-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
katiecrna
Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts

I agree with blue eyes 100%
Just leave instructions for your friend. He doesn't need to touch the bunny at all, He probably shouldn't. I don't think it's a good idea to leave a large bowl of pellets. Just have your friend give a small spoonful a day like blue eyes said.
I would also leave a couple litter boxes around, at least 2.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #15
Kinai

Kat

The size of AJ's cage will not accommodate 2 litterboxes. The bigger one for the few days will take up about a quarter of the cage and will be fine. (Not by choice and only for those days) his cage is 30 inches long and 20 inches front to back and same high. Being a Netherland Dwarf it's an ok size but not one I want. (His custom home will be bigger by alot) I do have him out as much as possible though.

My plan as of right now is to ration out the pellets into his individual meals, same with the hay and greens. Night before I leave (leaving at sun up basically) all pet medical info is placed where my friend can get it if needed for both my furkids. The cage gets fully cleaned so that in the morning all I have to do is put the already prepared larger litter box in the cage, fresh food and water a quick snuggle and be out the door.
RavenousDragon Likes This 
Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #16
lauren8165
Lauren & Buns

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann7 View Post
I don't leave Tawny alone even overnight. She goes with me. But she's a quite clingy and doesn't even like staying home while I run to the store. She just rides in the car like a champ. Though hotel staff usually pause when I say I'm traveling with a rabbit...
I am so jealous! I am new to rabbit and have only had mine a few months, but I desperately want a rabbit with that temperament one day. Buns is sweet as could be, but won't let me hold him and definitely wouldn't go for a car ride.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
schriss
Likes Given: 4

When I was going on 5 days vacation, while I had someone to come every day and serve some greens exactly as instructed (and do a small clean up), I made sure as many things as possible did not depend on that person:
- water bowl I use holds over 1 gallon of water so it will last over a week easily. The water doesn't go bad in just few days. Just clean before going.
- Pellets were served in 6 compartment pet feeder, so each serving would present itself at same time every day with my recorded voice playing out loud calling his name. He wasn't scared of the feeder, he immediately knew there is food hidden in it. It is impossible to open it ny an animal.
If it had to be human serving pellets, I would either leave every portion separately prepared by myself OR I would leave something like egg cup so they would not overfeed.
- Hay as usual, large stack that could last over a week easily.
- And lastly, a remote web cam. This one is dangerous to our mental health. If you are on vacation and you do have access on your mobile to be able to see live camera feed of your rabbit at home, it might be difficult to stop checking it every few minutes. But it does provide great peace of mind. But it can ruin vacation if people you are with do not expect to see you looking at the mobile device most of the time and running around looking for better coverage or WiFi hot spots.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Kinai

Schriss,

Unfortunately all of that stuff in Jas cage would leave no room for AJ. I do appreciate and LOVE the suggestions though! When I get the chance to build his new hutch I will make sure to have the room for that just in case I have to leave him again.
RavenousDragon Likes This 
Old 08-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
HannesandBijou
Default Nearly bonded and suddenly fighting?! :(

Last edited by HannesandBijou; 08-05-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to reply!