Is The Cage To Small

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
Im bummed I got this really nice cage and it is 36 inches by 24 but only 14 inches tall. I didnt realize it was that short until I got it home. My bunny will be only 9 weeks old when I bring her home she is a lionhead. How long do you think she will last in that cage. She is going to be let out often but in the cage when unsupervised. Thanks Mindy

Here is a picture of it. I hope she gets at least 6 months out of it
862.jpg

The cage will be okay for a bit, but you will want to cover up most of the bottom as its not that great for them to be walking on wire bottoms like that all the time. You may also have issues with food and hay falling out of the cage.

I have some grass mats comming in this week to cover the bottom so her little feet won't hurt. There is so many mixed reviews on the internet about do they hurt the feet and caused sores or not. I don't want to risk it though. I would love to do the solid bottom but I hate when they walk all through the urine and poop. Im sure it will take her a little while to use the box.

No I got it on craigslist so you cant return it. I think it will be ok for now she is only 2 pounds. I will look for something as she grows. Im thinking of making the cube ones.

I just made a cube one in the past couple days (check my blog for some pics) and Toby loves it a bazillion times more than his large store bought cage.

So much more room to a) stretch out b) hop around and c) climb.

Though having a store bought one is nice when you need to bring him/her somewhere, for example if I go back to my parents house for a weekend or need someone to bun-sit for a couple of days.

yes thats exactly what I want to make for her when she is a little bigger. She is only 3 pounds right now and 8 weeks old when I go get her. How did you make it. How does it stay together? And how do you do the door? Thanks

This site was really helpful for me.

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/moredetails.htm

The panels are held together by "zip ties" or cable ties. The door you just leave one side un fastened and then get some kind of clip to hold it closed.

But that website has tons of step by step details, I know there was a post in the library on here but all the pictures stopped working so I think that link is your best bet.

the cage looks fine to me. As she gets bigger I'd consider something bigger but it should work for a while. :)

I guess you could get away with it if she's only confined a a few hours a day, but for any length of time it is much to small. She won't be able to stand up right in it and she'll maybe take two hops at the most. Rabbit's grow quick, she'll be almost adult sized with a couple of months and restricting her movement will effect her bone and muscle development.

Try looking a dog crates, they are often on small adds or even freecycle. a 3'x4' one makes a good base and they have plenty of hight.

If you can't afford a bigger cage right now, you'd could portion off a section of a room or using a small room like a bathroom or cupboard.

I know everyone was concerned of her feet on the wire cage so I bought this grass mat and two safe plastic mats that slip under the wire to stay in place. I think that will help her feet. As soon as she is litter trained i will make one of those cages out of the cubes. I forget the name of them.
923.jpg

Back