Is This Cage Suitable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aBreeze

Reaction score
I am new to the bunny world, so Id like some opinions on my newest bun's cage.

Also, she's an aged unspayed female (not sure of age exactly) that's not litterbox trained. What can I do to help her? She's good with #1, but she #2's all over the place. My first boy was 10 weeks old when I got him(he's now 9 months), and super easy to get going in the litterbox... he's still not 100% though.

Beatrice6.jpg

Thanks!

Hi the cage looks a little small but it's a little hard to tell with the angle of the picture.

Does the bunny have a lot of time out of the cge to run around? I like theshelf you made for her. Are you going to get her spayed that would probably help with litter box habbits.

One of mine drives me nuts, he pees outside of the litter box. I put ceramic tiles in their cage which makes the cleanup much easier.

Very cute Bunny.

Susan:)

I looked closer today and she's #1 on the towel to the left of the box. I moved the box to that corner, and put plastic sheeting down in the right corner. I also moved her hay feeder to the back wall so she eats in her litterbox. I read feeding them in the litterbox helps???

Right now she's in that cage all day while we get to know each other and work on being held/wearing a harness. In about a week Ill start putting her outside during the day. The cage outside is about the same size as this one.

She hasnt ventured up on her shelves yet...

I find if you occupy the other corners with other items (hay feeders, bowls, etc) then they'll use the corner they can get to (litterbox corner!) It's my trick with Toby. If he wants to use other corners then I'll make it so he can't use them :)

That's a nice set-up. :) The dual shelves are good. It looks like she's got traction and overhead cover.

I'd suggest making sure something sits on top of the cage above the shelf as well just to make her feel more secure from predators from above.

And you also might be able to find old bottoms of pet store cages that will fit end to end so there's no gap.

She'll initially poop everywhere, but it should go away after a few weeks, especially once she's spayed.

sas :bunnydance:

aBreeze wrote:
I read feeding them in the litterbox helps???
Oh, it helps immensely! All of my bunnies have their hay racks over their litter box.

Your cage looks nice. Smart idea for the shelving. If your bunny can take 4 hops before reaching the end of the cage, can stretch out comfortably width wise, and stand on her hind feet without hitting the top of the cage then it is a good size.

Happi Bun wrote:
aBreeze wrote:
I read feeding them in the litterbox helps???
Oh, it helps immensely! All of my bunnies have their hay racks over their litter box.

Your cage looks nice. Smart idea for the shelving. If your bunny can take 4 hops before reaching the end of the cage, can stretch out comfortably width wise, and stand on her hind feet without hitting the top of the cage then it is a good size.
THANK YOU! That gives me a nice and easy way to think about it!

Tonight she had still poo'd in her cage but there was definitely more in her box.

Should I be concerned about how much time she seems to be nibbling/poking around at the shredded paper in her box? She has hay available at all times, and I cant decide if she's seriously snacking or trying to fluff/reorganize her "nest."

Latest posts

Back