Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > New baby petrified

Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #21
Blue eyes
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 563 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenyny View Post
/
From my experience, I would advise against buying one bunny. If you can't get a pair it is better not to bother; however, if you have bought one the sooner you buy a friend for it the better. I would say that every week you delay it will take 3 or 4 times as long for the rabbits to bond.
Her rabbit is still a baby. This isn't the time to get a 2nd rabbit even if she did want a second rabbit. Always best to wait until a rabbit is fixed and then let it choose a bondmate among other fixed rabbits.

Baby bonds don't count because they can easily fall apart with the onset of hormones. Starting with two babies runs the real risk of ending up with two rabbits that refuse to bond.

That aside, many (not all) indoor bunnies can be quite happy as single bunnies. I've had some that absolutely had to have a bondmate. I've had a few that actually seemed better as singles. Depends on the individual.

Aki Likes This 
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
jelandusn
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

So, he's settled in perfectly. He uses the litter box 90% for poo and 100% for pee so I've bunny proofed and have him out all day. I do put him away at night. I was going to wait for the first vet visit but we are heading to the vet next Friday for a checkup and to have his ear looked at. His one ear is dropping. Not sure if it's a baby thing or a problem so I'm just going just in case. Wish I could go sooner but Friday is the earliest they have. If he starts acting sick I'll do an emergency visit but for now he's acting fine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_070038.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	18468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_065930.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	18469  

Old 02-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #23
Aki
Liked 128 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I had a bunny whose ears did weird things like this when he was a baby (it stabilized when he was around 6 months but it went through really funky phases) but he had some lop in him. Signs of an ear problem are generally: a bad smell, lots of scratching or head shaking, dirty or greyish - brownish color inside of the ear.
If there is none of those signs, maybe it's indeed just a baby thing. Still, you're right: it's always good to do a check up an a new rabbit. It looks like he settled in nicely!

Old 02-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #24
Ivythelionhead

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default New baby petrified

I love that his nose has a dark smudge on it, so cute.
Iris doesn't always poop in her litre box either but I'm fine with that because I can just vacuum it up later, as long as she always pees in her litre box which she dose that's the important thing.

Last edited by Ivythelionhead; 02-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #25
jelandusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
I had a bunny whose ears did weird things like this when he was a baby (it stabilized when he was around 6 months but it went through really funky phases) but he had some lop in him. Signs of an ear problem are generally: a bad smell, lots of scratching or head shaking, dirty or greyish - brownish color inside of the ear.
If there is none of those signs, maybe it's indeed just a baby thing. Still, you're right: it's always good to do a check up an a new rabbit. It looks like he settled in nicely!
He does scratch his ear and shake his head. That's kind of what drew my attention to the ear. It droops more than when I first got him so I think something is bothering him.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #26
jelandusn

Just an update. Baby ianto is doing great! He is perfectly house trained and fits in better than I could have hoped!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	18677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	18678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg