Vinyl tiles/Cut to Fit vs Tile - Flooring for XPen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieP

Reaction score
Hello!
New here, hope to get a few opinions -
We have a 9lb bun, litter box trained and a happy guy :)...we are switching him to a larger enclosure and have settled on the Best Pet Heavy Duty Playpen. We will be making a plywood base with wood frame and I'm not sure what to lay down as flooring - was at Home Depot looking at different options and narrowed it down to:
1)Self stick vinyl tiles
2)Cut to fit vinyl from the big rolls at HD
3)Slate/ceramic tiles (something with texture for slippage...)
Would love to hear your votes...any thoughts really would be helpful. We will be doing all this on Sunday so I'm hoping to gather supplies before then.
We are also making him a plywood shelf for a second level but was planning to just do those thick seagrass mats on that...
Thanks in advance for the help! :)
Katie

RabbitPen.jpg

The rolls of vinyl have the advantage of no seams (or just one, depending on how you configure the base). The vinyl self-stick squares will have lots of seams that can allow water or urine through.

Some rabbits have a hard time walking on linoleum or vinyl or tile, so it depends on how your bunny is with that.

I know there are actual ceramic tiles that have rough, sandy texture to prevent it being too slippery. The biggest disadvantage would be weight. Those tiles are heavy-- very heavy. If you use them, consider how mobile it would be. You may want it on rollers/wheels. The weight of the tile would also demand a thicker plywood for the base, which would also add considerable weight. Plus you would need to grout the seams as well and then seal the grout.

If your rabbit can walk and run on vinyl, I'd opt for the rolled linoleum.

I use linoleum. But vinyl tiles work nice too they r easy to take out and clean and aren't slippery. Many rabbit experts use them too. Liv the enclosure idea!!

I use linoleum. But vinyl tiles work nice too they r easy to take out and clean and aren't slippery. Many rabbit experts use them too. Liv the enclosure idea!!

We're thinking about linoleum for flooring for our playpen, too. Was it difficult to cut to size? Did you add any backing to keep it from sliding or curling?

Latest posts

Back