Is three a crowd?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a gorgeous pair of house bunnies who love each other dearly. We have a male and female and both have been desexed.
We've been given a very friendly boy who enjoys being with humans and seems like he will fit in well at our housebunny house.
Does anyone have experience with three bunnies? Is it doable? We don't want to split our happy pair but feel bad if we don't adopt a rabbit in need. We know we will have to neuter him if he permanently joins our burrow.
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1468838009.414700.jpg

Two males- even neutered- don't often get along. While it is possible, it's not likely that they will get along. If you want to keep this boy, you may have to keep him in a separate room(s) than the other two.

With rabbits, it's always hard to predict the outcome of bonding. Two males and one female is not a configuration I would recommend, I would also indeed be scared it might cause trouble between the bonded rabbits you already have. Males tend not to get along, especially when there is a female involved. It might work if the newcomer is really submissive, but it's really hard to guess without having seen him interact with other rabbits.

There's also the possibility of breaking the bond that your initial rabbits have. I have three buns, and the duo stays in one room, and my single has her own room. She is very territorial, and to me, it's not worth the chance of her getting hurt (the other two are twice her size, and I really don't want them to gang up on her). What seems like a "mini" Fight to us has the potential to be deadly for buns, as they're so fragile.

I have to agree with the others, that introducing a 3rd bun runs the very real risk of disrupting or breaking the current bond. Males tend to fight over females, but any intro can mess up the original bond.

I also wanted to say how absolutely adorable are your current pair!! Love that "attitude" in their faces!

I bonded my pair and then bonded my trio you really have to play it how the buns react each session and it's not to say it cannot work, it just takes time. The trio took 1month to bond, my two girls were fighting and my boy bun was happy with the two girls, but the three of them do everything together now and they have been together for 2 years. My rule is when you feel like its hope less and you have tried everything that's when you need to push it a little further and that sometimes involves them duking it out a bit(caution and depends if all buns are about the same size (no dwarf and Flemish)and little bleeding from bites is fine but the other bun must have lots of room to run away if you try this method use this as last leading up attempt) This sometimes allows them to establish their places in their hierarchy and then they can start their trust building because they know who's boss and one will be submissive.

Latest posts

Back