Is this litter any good?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBunBun

Reaction score
Usually I buy Carefresh but lately I've been interested in getting pellet litter.

I saw this on the Petco website and I'm wondering if its worth buying-
http://www.petco.com/product/106817/Planet-Petco-Small-Animal-Paper-Pellet-Litter.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Small%20Animal_4-_-Planet%20Petco%20Small%20Animal%20Paper%20Pellet%20Litter-106817

Should I get that? Or are there any better suggestions? I really want something with odor control if that product isnt good enough. :bunny24

Hi have you thought about using the wood stove pellets? They are around $6 to $7 for a 40 pound bag.

I have purchased them at Ronas in Canada,any building supply store should have them, Also the Tractor/farm stores in the States (not sure what you call them).

I cover them with a plastic screen (used for needle work bought at Walmart or Michaels.

Susan:)

I use the Yesterday's News cat litter with the same plastic screen Susan just described. The odor control is fantastic and it's extremely absorbant; Toby's litter box hardly gets urine yuck on the bottom now. When I used rabbit specific litter before it always got gunked up.

I think it works really well, and it looks like the same product that you've linked. I got a 30 pound bag for about $11 and it's lasting forever.

Most of the members here use pelleted pine. Either the wood stove pellets, as Susan mentioned, or the horse stall bedding (which is what I use), or Feline Pine. They are essentially all the same product, just marketed for different applications. The wood stove pellets and horse stall bedding are the cheapest at $5-$8 for a 40 lb bag. Feline Pine is more expensive, but can be bought at pet shops, whereas the others you need to go to a tack & feed or hardware store to buy.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Ive actually ordered a plastic screen from binkybunny.com, which is the whole reason Im switching to pellets :)

Is there a brand name for these wood stove pellets?

It will vary. Here in Canada, it's Firemaster. Try Home Depot, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, etc. It's a seasonal product, so now's the right time to buy (and if you make the switch permanently, remember to buy a few extra bags before the stock runs out in the spring).

Hope that helps!

Rue

I also use Yesterdays News without a screen. And it is wonderful! And like MarisaAndToby I bought a 30lb bag and haven't put a dent in it yet.

I like shredded paper, straw, shavings (not saw dust) , and have even started mixing in some dry shredded leaves. Litter is being used as mulch in my organic garden beds, so changing it everyday isn't an issue. (most ink is soy now)

I use something called cellsorb plus, its more expensive than wood chips, 20 bucks for 40 lbs, but it lasts for about 6 months with 1 bun.

I tried the wood stove pellets but the type I got seemed to burn my eyes and set off my roommate and dog's allergies, so I gave them away to someone with a wood stove.

I personally prefer pelleted papers for the litterbox but many others like a variety of litters. I just find them easiest on odor control and absorption.

Since the pellet fiasco, I have switched to using Good Mews unscented and LOVE the odor control. It's made for cats and comes in a bright yellow bag, but it's just recycled paper pellets. For me, it works as well as yesterday's news or pet's preference, but it's like $5.49 a 30 pound bag instead of $16.99 the petstore charges. I buy it at the grocery store. Wish I'd known of it back before when I had rabbits and rats... :p

Latest posts

Back