Question about cages....?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberlynde

Reaction score
I have a blue and white dutch that some woman at a flea market literally shoved in my arms and then walked away. Having an impromptu rabbit, I didn't have the funds or time to really shop around for an appropriate sized cage so FreeRabbit ended up with a guinea pig cage starterkit. The cage is a bit small for him and FreeRabbit loves to run around in his cage, so I'm looking for a bigger cage for him. Any suggestions? I would like to find the biggest (within reason) possible cage for him. I'm even open to do-it-yourself projects.

This is the cage he's in now... http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470993

Also...any suggestions on how to house train a rabbit? He's not timid at all and likes to be out of his cage, but he poops everywhere!

Ah, I had the same cage when I bought Toby from someone else.

Honestly, the majority of commercial rabbit cages are too small to leave rabbits in unless they have a LOT of free run time. There are some ideas for housing in the library section and also in the housing and environment section of the forum. I personally built Toby a condo about a month ago out of cube shelving panels. These cages are referred to as NIC (neat idea cube) cages. Depending on where you get the shelves from, I think it ends up being cheaper than an actual cage from a store.

Another alternative is a pet exercise pen. It gives them lots of space to stretch out and run around but also keeps them in an area that you want them in.

So there's just a couple of ideas, I'm sure people will pitch in with more as well.

Woops, and as for litter training: It's easier with a fixed rabbit, but you're likely to always get a few poops here and there regardless. There are a lot of articles about litter training rabbits too. Generally speaking rabbits will pick one corner that they like to go in, all you need to do is put a box there. If you pick up excess poops and put them in there, the bun will usually catch on after a while and start using the box on their own.

I noticed that the first review for the cubes is "theyre great for making rabbit cages!" Hehehehe, I hope the makers dont notice because everything with a rabbit on the package tends to get super pricey.

Latest posts

Back