Hospital Therapy Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23442

Reaction score
Apologies if there is a thread for this subject.

Rupert (7-1/2 year old Netherland Dwarf) spends several hours each day visiting hospital patients. He clearly enjoys the experience but I wonder if others have experiences which might be valuable if shared?

Children's ward Oct1 2016.jpg

Don't remember who it was, but someone on here had a certified therapy bunny. Thought we might do the same with our Checkered Giant, Serena as she was mellow and loved rubbing and being held--never got to it, though. Plus, she was a huge bunny at almost 20 pounds.

Rupert has a Facebook page Rupert Bunny, on which there are some photos of his hospital visits. We cannot post photos or other information about those we visit but people do post to the page.

I've trained two bunnies to be confident and comfortable about traveling and visiting from their basket, which seems to manage much of the concerns. How to move a pet from patient to patient, avoiding invading patient privacy, and other concerns are helped very much by the basket. A 20 pound bunny would be quite a workout to carry around but, think a basket or other carrier would be the best answer.

Large dogs are able to stand on the floor and still be reached by many patients, but smaller pets cannot. This creates a problem for a pet which has foot contact with the floor, placing those feet onto the bed. Perhaps a rug or pad could be the answer but haven't spoken with anyone who has used that approach.

Rupert has interacted with over 5,000 people at the main hospital which we visit, over the last year so efficiency in movement and access while moving around the hospital is important, IMO.

I'd hoped to find others with more experience who could offer inspiration as to how to make the activity more effective.

Norm - hats off to you and Rupert! I think what you are doing is absolutely amazing, very very good of you to do this.

My wife has worked in hospitals and has told me how people, especially but not only children, really benefit from visits with animals. I have never heard of rabbits as hospital visitors, but if you have one with the right temperament, I could see that being a huge boost to patients that she/he visits!

I would be interested in doing this in the future, and will consider it once our rabbits are older and a bit more tame perhaps. Good stuff!

I will try to find you guys on FB ...

Latest posts

Back