what's in your bunny's daily bun salad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrmom26

Reaction score
hello all, :wave2 just curious what everyone puts in their bunny's salad every day. i have been trying different greens and so far loki hates turnip greens, not a huge fan of kale, but loves spinach . i add greens and one slice of one of my frozen fruits i have in the freezer. i'm thinking of buying those carrot chips they sell and adding one of them also but i'd love to know what every else adds to theirs thanks --- heather

Usually lettuce and collard greens with some cilantro. Sunday's are a no pellet day, so they get greens/weeds from outside like dandelion and clover

I usually buy a head of green leaf or romaine lettuce. If my grocery store has them, dandelion greens are one of their favorites. :hearts They love kale too, but I don't give it that often because of the high calcium content and my two dwarf bunnies seem to be prone to bladder sludge with that. I also get parsley or carrot tops sometimes. If I get the carrot tops with the carrots, I give them a slice every day until the bunch is gone. :carrot Right now I have no carrots and they are probably missing them!! I grew some edible flowers and give them as a little treat sometimes. If I have basil for cooking, I'll give them a little too.

ooh dandelions from out side lol why didn't i think of that. i have bought the dandelion greens at the store you'd think i'd make the connection .

I usually buy a head of green leaf or romaine lettuce. If my grocery store has them, dandelion greens are one of their favorites. :hearts They love kale too, but I don't give it that often because of the high calcium content and my two dwarf bunnies seem to be prone to bladder sludge with that. I also get parsley or carrot tops sometimes. If I get the carrot tops with the carrots, I give them a slice every day until the bunch is gone. :carrot Right now I have no carrots and they are probably missing them!! I grew some edible flowers and give them as a little treat sometimes. If I have basil for cooking, I'll give them a little too.

what are edible flowers? as in what kind of flowers are edible . that sounds like something to try.

Right now Felix and Clementine are nomming on a mescalin mix, because we've been a bit lazy. We often mix in bits of their favourite herbs, like basil, cilantro, and parsley. :)

I grow romaine, parsley, basil and butter crunch lettuce and cut off carrot tops once in a blue moon I slip in a tiny slice of banana or strawberry

I usually toss together a salad comprising of: Romaine, spinach, kale, collards, some carrot chips and some things from my garden/yard such as basil, mint, dandelion (greens and flowers), rose petals (Nessa loves rose petals), and sometimes I'll throw in some apple leaves I gather from my mini apple orchard (Not sure why, but she goes nuts for apple leaves).
Occasionally I'll give her a banana chunk or apple slice in it. :)

ooh dandelions from out side lol why didn't i think of that. i have bought the dandelion greens at the store you'd think i'd make the connection .

Yeah, don't buy dandelion greens, I'm sure no one will mind if you pick some. I've got some really big ones that they love! I just found out I have some would raspberries growing in my backyard, going to pick some of those tonight to add to their salad, the leaves of course, and maybe a few berries

Bun Jovi (year and a half old) - Either Organic Spring Greens w/herbs from Kroger or the Organic Power Greens mix as a base salad, depending on which, she might get a leaf of kale added (the power greens has baby kale in it). Some curly leaf parsley or carrot tops if available. We forage dandelion and clover from the yard (no chemicals). She might get a slice or two of carrot or a small slice of sweet potato and a couple of blueberries cut in half or a slice of strawberry or a slice of apple cut into pieces, sometimes pear. Broccoli stems only or maybe a top but a very small one. Red or yellow bell pepper but she's not too fond of those. Maybe just one small slice. She loves red clover with the clover leaves, those are her purple noms.

Barry (almost 10 weeks old) isn't yet old enough to really get anything beyond his hay and pellets. He does get cilantro or parsley in small quantities and I do give him a small piece of fruit such as two blueberries cut in half or a small bit of apple. I've given him a very thin slice of carrot, and he gets dandelions, grass and clover foraged from the yard, but his salads are small, like 1/4 - 1/3 cup small. He sure does love them though!

Purple Noms.jpg

Mine varies as I both buy some greens and harvest them from the yard when seasonally appropriate; they get plantain (the weed, not the fruit), wild strawberry leaves, dandelion greens, henbit, clover flowers, etc. from the yard, and then generally kale, collards, mustard greens, and turnip greens if purchasing from the store. I don't do much in the way of other veg/fruit; the occasional wild strawberry or mulberry when in season, a small piece of squash-type veg here or there.

Boomers daily salad is a mixture of the following daily... each day is a different mixture but always use the following....

Lettuce leaf mix, spinach, rocket, beetroot leaves, parsley, carrots, dandelions, thistle, grass, young celery plants, oregano, basil, tarragon, broccoli, snow pea sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, mustard sprouts.
I dont give him fruit only because he has never eaten any fruit that I have given him, EXCEPT for watermelon ! He loved that the rare few times i gave it to him.

Bandit gets an assortment of herbs from my pots as well as marigold and rose leaves, though I can't give him great amounts because they simply aren't growing big enough in the pots. He also currently gets 1 leaf of baby romaine/cos lettuce a day and usually every second day a slice of carrot and a small leaf or very small piece of broccoli when I'm cooking with those. I didn't grow silverbeet this year, I just have so much trouble with those spots in the garden.

I give Dusky Kale (which he loves!), Celery leaves, Spinach, Silverbeet, Broccoli leaves, Bok Choy, Parsley, Basil, Mint, Carrot tops (which I'm trying to grow but need to find organic ones) and when I haven't had time to go to the shop I give him a bunch of Mesculun mix with cucumber or capsicum or any of the other veg I have in the fridge. It's always 4-5 different veg a day...little dude won't eat his hay till he gets his veg :s

I grow 4 different types of lettuce, cilantro, parsley, spearmint, peppermint, orange mint, catnip, lemon balm, basil, sage, hyssop, marjoram, and collard greens. I just go out every morning and pick some of whatever looks good! I also put down a pot of Wheatgrass every once in a whilef or them to dig at. Oh, and I pick them violas, clover, dandelions, and plantains from my yard.

Mine eat fresh herbs such as basil, dill, cilantro, parsley, sage, rosemary also chicory, radiccio, celery leaves, rocket, spinach, red lettuce, watercress, dandelions when I can find them, they also eat broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower leaves.

My 2 pound Nethies' salad consists of about 1 cup of veggies each night.

Lettuce, about 4 different kinds
Mint
Oregano
Basil (purple and green)
Dill
Cilantro
Rosemary

Mine get a mix of kale, spinach, rocket, silverbeet, mint, endive, watercress, bok choy, pak choy - just depends on what is available.

Latest posts

Back