Bunny un litter training -_-

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseynicholson93

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've had my bunny for 3 months now, she's almost 4 months old. She easily learned how to use her litter box in the first night and ever since aside from the odd poo here and there she has been 100% and I have never seen her pee outside the box. This was her cage setup for 3 months ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404689507.395146.jpg

So yesterday to prepare for a second bunny and to give her more room I added a third level which looks like this now ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404689554.797275.jpg

Since the new addition to her cage she has been pooping all over the third level! She even peed twice as well which is very off for her. She wouldn't go in her litter box not even to eat her hay, it was untouched it the morning. At first I though it was the fleece so I replaced that with a shower curtain so it isn't soft, that didn't work then I thought maybe the cage is too big so I added a second litter box and she will literally poop right beside it! This is frustrating because she has never had an issue with litter training and now all of a sudden she's being so naughty! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

That is new territory to her, so she is marking it. The fact that she's reaching puberty also makes her urge to mark even stronger. If she is fixed, this behaviour should eventually die off when she gets used to the area, although if you are getting a new bunny in, don't count on either of them being good with a litterbox until they are both fixed AND bonded.

Completely agree with WhiskyLollipop, she's marking her territory and she's hit puberty! Oh dear! Best think about getting her spayed ;)

I will most definately be having her spayed as soon as she's hit 4 months, gunna call my vet and schedule it for 2 the next weeks! Hopefully after that she'll be good again! I'm either getting a boy that is already neutered or having an older guy and getting him neutered right away! (After he's all settled in of course) thanks for the help, so for now should I just keep putting the poops in the box and deal with the messy naughty girl?:p

I'm afraid so! Poor you... :p

Power through it and the results of having a happy, fixed bonded pair will be so so worth it.

Latest posts

Back