Bunny introductions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glazcia

Reaction score
I've had my first rabbit for 6 months now. Bunnadict. He is a sweet excitable rabbit, He acts like a dog when it comes to treats. I decided a few months ago to find him a friend to bond with. I had read that male and female pairs get along easier so I adopted a female rabbit who was no longer wanted by her owners. Rabitha.

2 days after I brought her home she had 11 babies, 5 died because of the mother. The 6 remaining babies will be 3 weeks old on Thursday, 4 boys 2 girls. For their safety I've been keeping them in a smaller cage and taking them out for Rabitha to feed every day. They are eating food now and are becoming more curious about the world outside their cage.

Bunnadict has a very large multi level cage i built inside. It's about 5x5 and tall with lots of places to hop and climb. More than enough room for one rabbit.

Bunnadict was neutered June 5th. I'm wondering at what point it would be okay to introduce Rabitha and the babies to Bunnadict.

My hope is bond Bunnadict with someone whether it's Rabitha or one of the babies.

There is a no kill shelter near me that takes rabbits and fixes them before adopting them out. I plan to take the babies there in August when the no longer need their mothers milk. If Rabitha doesn't like it here I'll probably take her to the shelter too, she'd be better off than at her old home. That would be the final option if she's not happy with me.

I know that was a lot of backstory. I just need to know when i can introduce the rabbits and the best was to go about it. Also, how I can tell who is the best match for Bunnadict.

I really don't know enough about it, but I would say from around 7/8 weeks you could introduce the babies to Bunnadict, babies tend to get along with everyone but you'll need to supervise the introduction. However once they reach the teenager stage (from 4 months) they can become hormonal and fights can start to break out. Also keep in mind, that from around 12 weeks of age, the female babies have the ability to get pregnant, so you will either need to give them to the shelter by this point, or have them separated by gender (which can be hard to tell if you're not practiced). As for Rabitha, you may be able to introduce her to Bunnadict once the babies are weaned from around 6 weeks, however, given that she is not spayed and has had a litter, she may be too hormonal to introduce to him without being spayed. While there are people who have managed to bond rabbits that aren't desexed, the success rate is lower. Young rabbits aren't considered bonded with adults, because their full personalities don't come out until after they mature, and while in that teenage phase they can bicker and fight and break bonds.

Sorry if that was a bit all over the place. It sounds like you have a good set up to keep bonded rabbits. Keep in mind, that most introductions (particularly between Rabitha and Bunnadict) will go better on neutral ground (somewhere where neither has been before). There is no guarantee that two particular rabbits will get along, but most do with a bit of time and patience. As for whether Rabitha would be a good match, sometimes just observing behaviour can give you an idea of whether you think they would match up well.

Back