First time rabbits breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifewithpets

Reaction score
Hey guys i've decided after months of researching about rabbits I actually want to get one.The breed im interested in are the Holland Lop,Netherland Dwarf,and the Lion head.I was wondering which one of these rabbits are good for first time rabbit owners and how there temperments are from personal experience.Any replies will help thanks!♡

From what I've read of other people's rabbits, out of those three breeds I would stay away from nethie's for a first time owner. They're not bad, but I think Hollands and Lion heads tend to be more laid back. That being said, every bunny is different so their personality might not follow suit. Nethies have a tendency to be high strung.

Shida is very high strung lol she is such a snobby bunny but most of the time she is sweet and funny but not cuddly. But that might just be her

My Nethie is extremely cautious, gets spooked easily, will accept pets from me but won't groom back. He adores my other bunny and gets along with her great.

My mini lop is a gorgeous laid back girl, but she is SUPER sassy and grumpy. Not violent or aggressive at all, but I get a lot of feet flicking and bunny butt from her.

Just my experiences with two breeds, certainly not indicative of all Nethies and mini lops. :p

Lionheads are a newer breed, so not everyone breeds them for temperament. I've had two, one of which I currently still have.

Delilah, my past rabbit, was an older doe, shy, not social, and nippy. She did occasionally come over to me though. She had no interest in her surroundings. Unfortunately I believe this is due to her previous owner not taking her out of her cage at all.

Ollie, a buck, is only 5 1/2 months old, very curious, shy, and a little stand offish. However, he's very sweet, doesn't nip or scratch. He loves to explore. He's also very alert.

I don't know if this is true for all Lionheads, however, this is just personal experience. I find they're a lovely breed, though they do require a little more care (grooming due to long hair).

My son brought home a Holland Lop over a year ago as the first experience. She is bunderful. She gives grooms and kisses, but she can be sassy. She's ok with floor cuddles but not so much for picking her up. Females generally are a little more sassy, but not in every case. We wouldn't give her up for anything though. I would also say Holland Lop.

I have a lionhead, Sir Walter-two years old now. he is high strung, though he has calmed a bit now, he is just adorable, can be affectionate-depends on his mood. He does require a lot of grooming, especially during the shedding season. He was super easy to litter box train and is trustworthy free run downstairs. He is my first lion head, my 2nd rabbit. He is funny and charming and definitely has his routines.

Latest posts

Back