Can rabbit's have horse treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txhollandloplover

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering I feed my rabbit 2 cookies a day she loves them they are dumor Apple and carrot if anybody knows please let me know thanks!

Two a day of any commercial treat sounds a bit much to me, tbh, even if it's an acceptable one - and remember that the horse treats are a much bigger portion size than a typical rabbit treat.

I'm sure the horse biscuits are safe for occasional use; all that's really in them is wheat, carrots, apples, and molasses. That's not worse and in many ways a bit better than many of the rabbit treats on the market. However, daily feeding would have me concerned; looking at the nutritional profile, a few things stand out to me:
- Molasses is high on the ingredient list, and carrots/apples are both sugary. AAFCO doesn't require labeling sugars in pet food, but I'm guessing this is pretty sugary.
- The biscuits have more than double the % fat most commercial adult rabbit foods.
- Calcium and phosphorous are also a good little bit higher than they are in most rabbit foods. Rabbits can get urinary sludge from things like high mineral content easily, so again: daily feeding would worry me.

I also would be wary feeding horse treats daily. Horses are huge compared to people, so to rabbits, they're gigantic! I wouldn't feed this every day. Maybe one a week...at the most. If you want to give your rabbits treats, pick them some dandelions, a bit of clover and grasses. They'll love it just as much and you can be satisfied that you're giving them natural things you selected instead of something from a bag

I use them, recommended by a breeder, but I got to say I break it in quarters cause a whole one seems far too much and I got Flemish. Also, I give it occasionally, once every two weeks or a month. I have no evidence but I just get the notion that its far to rich to feed often.

Latest posts

Back