Fred met a wild cottontail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
I had my bunny Fred out in the double xpen in the grass near my deck. I was sitting up on the deck watching him and spotted a cottontail in my neighbor's yard. I should have gotten the camera then because within a few minutes the cottontail had hopped into our yard and was checking out Fred. The cottontail slowly got closer and they touched noses through the bars of the xpen a few times, then backed away. :bunnieskiss I was ready to break it up if they started to fight but they never did. It was a sight to see! Has anyone else witnessed an encounter between their pet rabbit and a wild rabbit? In case anyone is worried, Fred was neutered last year so no chance of mating with his wild friend (if it was a girl that is).

That's really cute! It reminds me of this video, "Wild Rabbit Wants In NOW" on YouTube: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4N5S90jJSU&index=101&list=WL[/ame] :bunny18

The two-minute mark in the video I sent shows the wild cottontail and domestic bunny touching noses, jus like yours.

I've had my bunnies out in their X pens and had some curious little cotton tails get close to them and nothing happened. It was more like, what? That's a rabbit also! I don't think they are going to attack or anything. I think it's more like, Wow.. what is that!

Vanessa

Aww that's so cute!
I took Silv outside one day and put him in the grass to look over and spot a cottontail. They just looked at each other before the wild one scampered off.

The two-minute mark in the video I sent shows the wild cottontail and domestic bunny touching noses, jus like yours.

Oh yea, I remember seeing that video before. Yes, that's what it was like only with the xpen they could actually touch with no screen in between. I wish I had gotten a video camera or even a still camera. It was so interesting to watch.

I had my bunny Fred out in the double xpen in the grass near my deck. I was sitting up on the deck watching him and spotted a cottontail in my neighbor's yard. I should have gotten the camera then because within a few minutes the cottontail had hopped into our yard and was checking out Fred. The cottontail slowly got closer and they touched noses through the bars of the xpen a few times, then backed away. :bunnieskiss I was ready to break it up if they started to fight but they never did. It was a sight to see! Has anyone else witnessed an encounter between their pet rabbit and a wild rabbit? In case anyone is worried, Fred was neutered last year so no chance of mating with his wild friend (if it was a girl that is).

Interesting fact: wild rabbits and domesticated rabbits actually can't interbreed

Oh, and my bun is such a bully with the wild rabbits on our property! They are always curious about him, and he usually chases them away and takes their nibbling spot, little brat.

My old bunnies that I used to have Felica and Agness (lion-heads) had something like this happen they were sitting In there xpen outside on a beautiful summer day and I was swimming in my pool when I looked up and saw a wild rabbit sitting right next to there cage it was so cute as they touched noses and looked at eachother unfortunately my camera was inside tho I think at some point the wild bunny had been someone's pet because he was all black and super friendly even toward ppl.
Anyway cute,cute,cute story

That's a cute video :)

Interesting fact: wild rabbits and domesticated rabbits actually can't interbreed

That depends where you live and which species you have there.

Is that in every country? Cause the wild rabbits in Australia are a different breed then America

No, it's not. Cottontail rabbits in the USA are different to the Eeuropean rabbit which the domestic rabbit is derived from, the two can't interbreed. Wild rabbits in Australia, Europe, NZ, possibly elsewhere are European rabbits and can breed with domestics because they are the same species. They are also more likely to pass on diseases.

That's a cute video :)

That depends where you live and which species you have there.

No, it's not. Cottontail rabbits in the USA are different to the Eeuropean rabbit which the domestic rabbit is derived from, the two can't interbreed. Wild rabbits in Australia, Europe, NZ, possibly elsewhere are European rabbits and can breed with domestics because they are the same species. They are also more likely to pass on diseases.

Thankyou! Mental note keep Shida away from wild rabbits

Latest posts

Back