Carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Good news: I'm finally purchasing stuff for my bun! I already got hay and a couple of toys, and soon I will be getting its enclosure!

What I'm going to do is get a child's play pen and use it as an x-pen, but it's going to be on short carpet. I am hearing mixed reviews about carpets and buns -- rumors are telling me that they can ingest fibers and get their nails cut and ripped off. What would be the smartest thing to do? Should I put a blanket down over the carpet so that the pen is enclosed around the blanket? Or do you think that wouldn't be necessary? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

:jumpforjoy:

If the carpet is short and tightly wound, most bunnies will not chew on it so it should be fine. Some especially determined bunnies might still try to though, in which case a tarp may be necessary. Blankets are even more chewable than carpet, so unless your bun is not a big chewer I wouldn't put any blankets, pet beds or similar in there.

I really think you'd be better off with a dog crate or pet xpen than a child's play pen and you might want to consider some type of waterproof floor instead of carpet as there may be accidents, especially if you get a young bunny who is not yet litter trained. Just my :twocents

You could put a fleece blanket down over the carpet if you like. Fleece can obviously still be chewed on, but it doesn't have the long fibers so if ingested it's not as likely to cause problems. You can also then throw the thing in the washing machine to clean it if it gets peed on etc, better than having carpet stains :)

If you're looking for carpet, you could look into low pile. The stuff I use in my rabbit cage is carpet for high traffic areas and it's really tough. Sophie scratches at it all the time and she has not been able to get a fibre out yet! As long as the edges are hidden from your rabbit, it should be fine.

That being said, Sophie is pretty clean and doesn't have any accidents. If your rabbit is messy, the carpet may not be the best thing to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for carpet, you could look into low pile. The stuff I use in my rabbit cage is carpet for high traffic areas and it's really tough. Sophie scratches at it all the time and she has not been able to get a fibre out yet! As long as the edges are hidden from your rabbit, it should be fine.

That being said, Sophie is pretty clean and doesn't have any accidents. If your rabbit is messy, the carpet may not be the best thing to use.

What is low pile?

A carpet that isn't fluffy or loosely woven normally used in high traffic areas of the house such as hallways

Latest posts

Back